2. REMINISCE

𝐃𝐘𝐒𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐀ᵗʷᵒ

     LO'AK WOKE UP IN a grimace from the yanking force of his arm──someone attempting to wake him up. He grunted in response, stirring awake yet wanting to resist opening his eyes. He lifted his slender fingers to rub them, and his sight was invited by the face of Tuk once his eyelids were prised open.

     "Lo'ak, come on! Wake up, we have diving lessons today," the small girl had eyes of desperation with a look of excitement plastered on her face. He already suspected it was his little sister who awoke him, and he restrained a groan of annoyance from escaping his throat by the disturbance of his slumber.

     From the corner of their woven cavern, Kiri was planted in the same spot since yesterday, evidently becoming displeased with everything going on. Kiri loathed being here and she reminisced about being home again. By the eyes of villagers, she knew her family would be treated as a nuisance. Kiri opposed the thought of leaving the tent for their diving lesson, but she relented at the pleas of Tuk wanting her to come too.

     Here the young teens stood on the polished woven platform beneath their feet. Catching a glimpse of the serene sky with their eyes scanning to see the sun projecting upon the sea. Divers and Ilu were present, and Tuk was practically jumping in excitement. 

     "Let us begin."

     The Metkayina siblings gradually fell off the platform and dived into the water with grace, while the Sully family began diving into the surface with no hesitation. The substance of the water splashed, and bubbles appeared once their bodies had sunk into the water. Their braids drifted around their shoulders as they all seemed fascinated by the sea creatures surrounding them. Especially Kiri, who delicately touched the creatures around her in awe.

     A'kaia and her siblings began to guide their way through the water. She swayed her hips to move forward and turned around to face the Sully family above them with a gentle smile. She raised her hands close to her chest. 'Follow us,' she signed to them.

     The Sully siblings didn't understand, and they had an expression of confusion morphing on their faces. Tsireya motioned them to follow, to which they understood. Lo'ak had his arms swaying around his figure to float and pointed at the Metkayina kids, gesturing to his siblings they should go deeper into the water. They followed and swam deeper to reach the others.

      However, they felt their chest beginning to pulse from the excruciating pressure of the water. Their desire to breathe was strong, and they reached the surface as their braids drifted around their shoulders. They finally made it to the top, drawing in deep breaths.

     A'kaia and her sister remained patient with the family knowing they had no experience with the sea and just started learning. She wish she could say the same with her brother who turned to Roxto, signing to him in question.

     'What's wrong with them?' Ao'nung had his face cast in judgment for the beginners. A'kaia's gaze softened when she shifted to see the Sully kids above them.

     They were only learning, this was anticipated because their body structure and abilities limited them──their bodies weren't meant to be in the sea. They adapted to the forest their whole life, and A'kaia couldn't even imagine the ache they must've felt to abandon their home for the sake of their safety. She knows they miss their home, they were raised there after all. If she had no choice but to leave her home behind, and go somewhere where her abilities limited her, she believed she'd suffer.

     Roxto shared the same thoughts as Ao'nung did, and signed back to him. 'They can't stay underwater,' Rotxo expressed to him momentarily, and Tsireya stopped them from continuing their criticism any further.