5- Vow

All of the guests arrived and stood in a semi-circle near the large oak tree while Riftan stood in a half circle of flowers beside Ruth, their officiant. The plan was that Maxi would walk down the aisle to the tree and they'd be surrounded by everyone.

Riftan kept wiping his palms with the tissue. Ruth patted his shoulder, excited.

"Take a deep breath, ok... you're almost a husband," he said. "Plus you look good, this outfit was the right choice."

Riftan slicked back his hair for the 100th time.

"Do you think she'll like it?" he asked Ruth.

"She'd marry you even if you showed up in a trash bag," Ruth laughed. The wedding party nearby giggled.

Riftan nodded. The violinist began playing, everyone turned to the garden gate. She was there.

A gentle crown of white wildflowers was carefully intertwined in Maximilian's gentle auburn curls. Pearls were pinned around them, glistening in the late afternoon's glow. Her cheeks were flushed pink as she stepped forward from inside the fortress. She chose a simple cream midi dress that had sheer sleeves and a lace cape instead of a traditional veil. She wore pearl earrings and the small golden locket he had bought for that Valentine's Day. The sun brought out the brown and golden highlights in her hair, making it seem as if she was ablaze.

Hebaron took her arm and the gentle giant walked down the trail of lit candles that led them to the tree where Riftan and the rest of the group stood waiting. The group held their breath and the two finally made their way in front of Riftan. He couldn't tear his eyes away from her, even when Hebaron affectionately squeezed his shoulder and went to stand with the rest of the wedding party.

Max's eyes brimmed with tears and crinkled at the edges when she smiled up at him and reached out to hold his hand. Her soft fingers scorched his skin and the heat radiated to his chest. Riftan couldn't restrain himself any longer, he stooped down and pressed his lips on hers. His nostrils were filled with the scent of a gentle rose perfume, the white flowers, and the soft sweet musk he had learned came off her skin naturally. Max threw an arm around his neck pressing herself up against his body and Riftan's arms went around her small waist; he wanted to pull her into him so that they could be one forever.

"Christ, not yet... can you two stop for like 5 seconds," Ruth muttered.

Max pulled away and giggled, still holding Riftan's hand. She turned toward Ruth who stood by the oak tree in the garden. Riftan pulled her in closer and looked at Ruth too.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join these two in loving matrimony," Ruth read. "We stand here before witnesses, and before this ancient oak tree, to celebrate the union of Riftan and Maximillian."

Ruth smiled at the couple.

"There are a lot of corny things I could say about weddings, but for today I'll say that sometimes love happens. It just shows up, like the ghost of something you forgot. Love is weird. It's complicated. But sometimes, it's just two people who didn't know they were looking for something but realized that they liked who they were so much more when they loved someone else and when they were loved in return."

Hebron sniffled, wiping his tears off his cheeks with the back of his hands. He passed the two ring boxes to Ruth who held them out to the couple. Riftan took a simple gold band engraved with leaves and turned to slip it onto Max's ring finger.

"W..with this ring," Riftan began.

Maxi looked up at him, she smiled, her eyes brimmed with tears. He could see the constellation of freckles on her shoulders through the sheer dress sleeves. Riftan steeled himself as his heart pounded harder in his chest. He continued.

"With this ring, I give you everything I am, everything I'll ever be. In this life and in the next, I vow to be the husband you need me to be. I vow to be your friend. I give you my heart, even though you've had that for a very long time. I'll be here in sickness and in health, until death do us part. I love you, Maxi. I think I always have."

Riftan finished placing the band under her engagement ring. He kissed the back of Maxi's hand. She beamed up at him as she took the other ring and slipped onto Riftan's left hand.

"With this ring, I give you my whole heart. I give you all of the time I have on creation. I knew both of those things would be for you the moment I admitted to myself that I was falling in love. I love you, Riftan. I always will."

He stopped down and kissed Maxi's forehead. Ruth didn't chastise them this time. He smiled and looked around at the wedding guests. Riftan looked into Maxi's gray eyes.

"Riftan, do you take Maximillian to be your wife, from this day until forever. To love, respect, and cherish her all of her days."

"I do."

"Maximillian, do you take Riftan to be your husband, from this day until forever. To love, respect, and cherish all of his days."

"I do."

"By the power vested in me by the Republic of Anatol, I pronounce you married!"

Ruth paused, and smirked.

"You can actually kiss now."

Hebron broke into open sobs, and the guests cheered while Riftan practically lifted Maximillian off her feet. The scent of the flowers in her hair engulfed his senses. For 10 seconds, it was like no one else existed but him, Max, and the old tree.