The Loop

You may know this story. You may have seen it countless times already. This story is about trust and friendship. It's also about fear and betrayal. That is your universe. But I see far beyond what is. Rather, I see what can be.
In the multiverse, anything is possible. Anything and everything can and will happen.
Consider me a guide through these confusing new realities.
Now follow me, as we ponder the question:
What If?

A boy meets a girl. They fight together, live together, and trust each other with their lives.
In your universe, the boy known as Mono was a loyal, caring friend to Six. He protected her, watched over her, and braved the dangers of a broken world to save her. He continued to brave dangers right up until he was betrayed by his one and only friend, becoming the very thing that chased him relentlessly, with time looping back on itself.
But in this universe, Mono becomes aware of the loop. And he will do anything in his considerable power to keep Six from betraying him again.
But he still cares about her. So what will he do?
Protect her from anything that would hurt her.

Mono leaped.
The abyss was too wide for him to make the jump himself, but that was alright.
Because Six was on the other side, holding out her hand for him, as she had saved him countless times.
He felt his hand latch onto hers, and he knew he was safe.
He looked up at his friend, his best friend.
They were together again. He had saved her from the Tower, and now nothing would be able to separate them again.
He smiled up at her, letting her know how much he cared for her, and how great of a friend she was-
His smile froze when Six's grip tightened, then she shook his hand away.
Mono fell.
When he came to, there was nothing but the sinister looking walls of flesh, all around him.
To his left, there was a chair.
And Mono climbed onto it, half entertaining the idea of using it to climb out-
And instead found himself sitting down, breaking into tears.
As he sat, he didn't even see the room transform into a blank slate. He simply cried.
Why?
Why would she drop him?
Why would she betray him?
He didn't know how long it took for the tears to fade. It took even longer for him to calm his shaking.
After countless hours, he began to think.
Did I do something wrong?
Was I not good enough?
And in the boy's mind, he began to dream of a different scenario. One where he did something different, changed something.
He wished he could change the past.
And the Tower heard.
The Tower listened.
The Tower helped.
And after a long, long time, when he was much older, his wish was granted.
Mono slowly shifted awake, a familiar paper bag on his head once again.
He was here again.
Mono was ecstatic. He could do it over again! He would show Six he was the best friend he could be.
In the Hunter's house, he hefted the axe, bursting through the door.
And there she was again, his best friend.
He wanted to hug her, to take her, to hurt her until she was his-
But she didn't know him yet.
That was alright.
He would still be a good friend.
He helped her, he was always by her side, and he always tried to make her path better.
When she was taken by the children at the school, he was almost instantly there, freeing her from the clutches of the bullies.
"That's what friends are for!"
That's what he said every time he would help her.
Because after all, who could be a better friend than him?
Six was taken again.
It was alright, it was only the shade he had left behind to keep the broadcast running. Six would be safe.
Her best friend would never let her down.
When he grabbed her hand again, he looked up, waiting for Six to pull him up and let him know he was her friend-
Six let go. Mono fell.
He tried again. This time, maybe he would save her from everything first. Nothing would capture her while Mono was around!
He broke down the door again, changing his words slightly.
"Hi! I'm Mono. I'm here to save you!"
And save her he did. This time, he pulled Six under the locker that fell and waited until the chattering bullies gave up.
He stood up to his older self, now a puppet for the Tower, before he could take Six from him.
Their battle reached the Tower anyway, and as Mono ran from the walls of flesh, he smiled. He had saved Six from everything, protected her from anything. This time she would be alright. They would be alright.
Six let go. Mono fell.
Okay, so that wasn't the way to go. Should he just be quieter? Six was quiet, maybe he should just let her be for a while.
Six let go. Mono fell.
He tried a different tactic. Maybe if he stayed in the rooms with the patients long enough, Six would realize that she missed him and couldn't be without him.
So he sat, his flashlight pointed at the door with the patients, waiting Six out.
Eventually, he started to wonder what Six was doing. Was she okay? Was she safe?
He hissed through his teeth, but forced himself to keep waiting. His mind kept flashing images at him, of Six hurt, of Six crying in a corner, of Six in the Doctor's clutches, of Six dead-
Mono found himself running, screaming for Six, shouting for all the city to hear that he was coming for her.
And there she was, safe and sound, and he was hugging her, crying into her shoulder.
Six returned the embrace, and Mono felt a piece of himself burst.
Did he do it right this time?