CHAPTER 10

I opened my eyes to Ian sitting beside me, holding my right hand while the left had a plastered needle with the remaining drops of intravenous fluid from the transparent bag that hung above my head.
"Hey".
" Hey", I answered back.
"What happened? Where am I?"
"You passed out", said Ian.
" you're at the infirmary", A man standing in a white coat added.
He walked a little closer to my side and removed the Iv from my hand.
"Is he going to be fine?", mr ighalo asked from the door.
" yes, he will, as long as he abstains from caffeine content".

"How are you feeling now?".
" Just itchy and a little nauseous".
"Ok", our sports master nodded, looking more serious than he was before now.
" Can I see you for a moment?".
"Of course", said the doctor before they both went outside.

" Is there anything at all that you recall eating, or drinking before the football match", Ian asked.
"Peach juice", I replied.
" I drank from the peach juice I kept in my backpack during the halftime".
"Just that?".
" yes", I sat up.
"But I did notice a weird change of taste..."
"And you still drank from it?".
" yes", I retorted.
"I was angry Ian, I was confused and not thinking straight. I didn't know that it was..."
"Okay", he cut in.
" Turns out someone changed or mixed up your drink with lots of caffeine content cos this isn't peach juice", he showed the liquid from my sports bottle.
"Who else knows about your caffeine allergy in school?".
" Just you and kirah".
"Kirah huh", Ian frowned.
" The witty girl from Arts".
"She's my friend".
" And you trust her that much?".
"Yes, Ian. I've known kirah for more than 10 years of my life, she'll never do a thing like that".
" That's the problem with you Luka", he stood up.
"You trust people way too much".
" Really?"
"Yes", he retorted.
" And people are not always what you see them to be".
"I figured that out already", I cut in.
" But kirah is not 'people' and I'm not you who doesn't trust anyone".

I regretted my words immediately after Ian dashed out of the infirmary but as my dad would say, 'one can not unsay the words that have been said. I know I was wrong to have spoken to Ian harshly because of my unresolved personal feelings but you wouldn't blame me for doing that.
He kept a lot of secrets and on top of that called my best friend 'witty' in an offensive way.
I was about to get out of bed when the doctor returned with mr Ighalo and my mom.

"Oh my dear son, I came as soon as I could".
" it's ok mom, I'm fine".
She sat beside me, "And who was that? You look worried".
" my friend". I swallowed.
"It's nothing mom, I'm ok".
"Sure?".
"Yes". I answered calmly but it seemed my mom wasn't satisfied with the way she touched my forehead and checked me out from head to toe.
" he'll be fine", the physician assured.
"As long as he doesn't drink any caffeine again".
" And I would suggest we keep things private", said mr ighalo.
"While both schools look into this matter properly".
" Ok", my mom replied.
"Thank you so much for informing me about it, I don't know what I would've done if anything happened to him".
" It's ok ma'am", mr ighalo moved a little closer to where my mom sat.
"Luka is careful and diligent, and I'm sorry he had to go through all this under my watch. I want to assure you on behalf of the school management that we'll get to the bottom of this".
" Alright then", my mom turned back to me.
"Get your things, Luka we're going home".
" But I have to get back to the match".
"I'm afraid you can't", mr Ighalo intruded.
" The match ended about an hour ago Luka, listen to your mom".

  My dad was not around when we got home and I was glad he wasn't. I went straight to my room and lay on the floor.
'Who could've swapped or mixed my peach drink at the match', I thought.
It tasted fine until the time I went to drink from it during half-time. it was hard to point fingers with at least 2,000 students roaming around the field at the time of the match.

"You look bummed", said a familiar female voice at the door of my room.
" I am bummed", I turned to the door.
"Ivy", I sprang up.
" When did you get here? I mean."
"From school?"
"Yes", I nodded.
" midterm break", she answered.
"I was with dad when your school called. Someone's been having lots of fun without me huh".
" fun?" I hissed.
"That word is very far from me ivy. I'm having the worst phase of my life right now"
"I'm not curious", she cut in.
" Don't tell me".
"And how about you Ivy, why don't you tell me about your new school".
" my school", she frowned.
"There's nothing to tell".
" How can you not have anything to tell about your new school?"
"Just stick to being annoying", she cut in.
" Caring doesn't suit you".
"Really?"
"Yes, and mom asked me to call you out for lunch". She slammed the door.