Chapter Twenty Four - Down we go

Myrtle was moaning as she usually did, in the girls bathroom, when Lockhart, Harry and Ron arrived.

"Who's there?" she wondered then saw who came into view. "Hello, Harry." Myrtle fluttered her dead ghostly eyelashes at him

"What do you want?" she questioned softly

"To ask you how you died." he replied carefully

"Oh...It was dreadful." she answered hovering above one of the stalls "It happened right here in this very cubicle." she pointed down to where she was hovering above.

"I'd hidden because Olive Hornby was teasing me about my glasses. I was crying, and then somebody came in." she carried on explaining what had happened.

"Who was it Myrtle?"

"I don't know. I was distraught!" she retorted back "But they said something funny, a kind of made up language. I realised it was a boy so I unlocked the door to tell him to go away and...I died." her voice broke at the end.

"Just like that? How?" Harry didn't quite get it.

"I just remember seeing a pair of great, big, yellow eyes there by that sink." she pointed then floated away moaning. Harry went to examine the sink and there was nothing special till he found little serpent markings.

"This is it, Ron. I think this is the entrance to the Chamber of secrets." Harry voiced stepping back

"Say something. Harry, say something in Parcel tongue." Ron told him figuring it out. Harry did so and there was a clink and rumbing as the top of the sink rose up and the sinks separated one lowering down to created the entrance. Lockhart looked down into the way in.

"Excelent, Harry. Good work. Well, then, I'll just be...There's no need for me to stay." Lockhart tried to make a run for it but the boys stopped him

"Oh yes there is." Harry grunted as the two of them pushed him back almost seeing him falling into the hole. The two took their wards aiming it at him. "You first."

"Now, boys, what good will it do?"

"Better you than us." Ron replied "Besides, the story of you going down first is sure to help Vega in her recovery, when she comes back."

"But...Obviously ye." Lockhart resided to the fact and turned around but liked back they pushed him down with a scream "It's actually quite dirty down here."

"Okay lets go." Harry breathed

"Oh, Harry." They turned to Myrtle "If you die down there, you're welcome to share my toilet." Myrtle flirted

"Uh. Thanks, Myrtle." The two jumped downed screamed until the landed at the bottom. Quick they held their wand up to their professor making sure he didn't try anything funny.

"Now remember: Any sign of movement close your eyes straight away." Harry told them. Harry climbed through first, then Lockhart and finally Ron. The found a sheaded snake skin which revealed the enormous size of the basilisk. Lockhart feigned a faint to grab hold of Rons wand. Ron broken wand which he made spell backfired. Lockhart tried to erase Harry's memories but instead it hit him sending him backward and setting off a rock fall separating the two best friends. Ron had a clueless Lockhart and Harry was left to go on alone. Harry did so with wand raised. He came to a door and Harry figured speaking in parcel tounge would open the door which it did.

He carefully made his way down a ladder and into the notorious, famed chamber of secrets where he saw Ginny passed out. He shook her but it didn't work. from the shadows Tom Riddle came out

"She won't wake." he told her coming in to view.

"Tom. Tom Riddle. What do you mean she won't wake? She's not..." he trailed off

"She's still alive, but only just." he answered

"Are you a ghost?" Harry wondered not yet seeing the danger that he was in.

"A memory preserved in a diary for fifty years." Harry touched Ginny's hand

"She's cold as ice. Ginny please don't be dead. Wake up." he insisted as Tom picked up Harry's wand "You've got to help me Tom. There's a basilisk."

"It won't come until it's called." Tom replied, that is when Harry noticed that Tom had his wand.

"Give me my Wand Tom." Harry held out his hand

"You won't be needing it."

"Listen, we've got to go. We've got to save her." the raven haired boy insisted

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Harry. You see as poor Ginny grows weaker, I grow stronger." Harry put the pieces together "Yes Harry, it was Ginny Weasley who opened the chamber of Secrets."

"No, she couldn't she wouldn't." Harry denied

"It was Ginny who set the basilisk on the mud bloods and Filtches cat. Ginny who hit Vega Malfoy over the head and destroied the talisman and the only person smart enough to mend it back to full working order, Ginny who wrote the threatening messages on the walls." Tom revealed all that she had done.

"Why?"

"Because I told her to. You'll find I can be very persuasive. Not that she knew what she was doing. She was, shall we say, in a kind of trance. Though with your girlfriend, she was more easy in that respect, her little crush and jealously made that task more willing a puppet. Still the power of the diary began to scare her. She tried to dispose of it in the girls bathroom. And then who should find it but you? The very person I was most anxious to meet." Tom calmly rambled out all that had gone on and how he was behind everything with Ginny as the puppet.

"And why did you want to meet me?" Harry questioned

"I knew I had to talk to you, meet you if I could. So I decided to show you my capture of that brainless oaf Hagrid to gain your trust."

"Hagrid's my friend." Harry snapped at him "And you framed him didn't you?"

"It was my word against Hagrids. Only Dumbledore seemed to think he was innocent." Tom retorted back

"I'll bet Dumbledore saw right through you." Harry smirked proud of his mentor

"He certainly kept an annoyingly close watch on me after that. I knew it wouldn't be safe to open the chamber again while I was at school so I decided to leave behind a diary preserving my 16 year old self in it's pages. So that one day I would be able to lead another to finish Salazar Slytherins noble work."

"Well you won't be able to finish it this time. In a few hours, the Mandrake draught will be ready. And everyone who was petrified will be alright again." Harry bit back though he did want to add that Vega would soon be better and fix the talisman once more. But he left that bit out.

"Haven't I told you? Killing Mudbloods doesn't matter to me anymore. For many months now, my new target has been you." that took Harry back a bit "How is it that a baby with no extraordinary magical talent was able to defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How did you escape with nothing but a scar while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?"

"Why do you care that I escaped? Voldemort was after your time?"

"Voldemort is my past, present and future." Tom stated the using Harry's wand he wrote out his full name in mid air and reargued the letters to spell out 'I am Lord Voldemort'

"You. You're the heir of Slytherin. You're Voldemort." Harry breathed

"Surely you didn't think I was going to keep my filthy muggle fathers name? No I fashioned a name where I knew wizards everywhere would fear to speak when I became the greatest sorcerer in the world." Tom voice became more raised as he carried on talking with Harry.

"Albus Dumbledore is the greatest Sorcerer in the world!" Harry bit back

"Dumbledore's been driven out of this castle by the mere memory of me."

"He'll never be gone. Not as long as those who remain are loyal to him."