Rejection.

This short story has major spoilers to The Virus Within. Please do not read onwards if you have not read it.

She was engaged in an animated discussion with the people around her. Other than sporting a better tan and having her hair cut to her shoulders, she looked exactly the same as when I had last seen her 10 months ago.

One of the men sitting beside her pointed in my direction. She sat up straighter and stared at me and the truck drove down the road. My time sitting here had settled my mind into an expectant calm, but from the emotion on Jess's face, she was barely keeping it together.

The truck slowed down and veered onto the grass in the ditch. The other vehicles stopped on the road. I wasn't fond of the observers but my focus was on my sister.

As soon as the truck came to a stop in front of me Jess slid over the side and I can either step forward before hesitating and glancing back at the others. Someone must've worn her about how growly I got if people didn't expect my personal space. Screw that. I'll make an exception. She can learn the rules later.

"Where's my hug?" I demanded, standing up. "I didn't spend the last 7 1/2 months walking thousands of miles searching for you for this sort of greeting."

Bursting into tears, she ran forward with outstretched arms. I was afraid of that... stuffing my instincts as far down as possible, I took several steps forward, also holding my arms out. She careened into me hard enough I had to step back to keep my balance.

She buried her face in my shoulder as she squeezed me in a hug. "I missed you so badly! I can't believe we're finally together again!"

"I missed you too Jess." I spoke through gritted teeth as I tried to hold in a growl. It wasn't working, so I surreptitiously tried to release her from the hug, but she held on tight. Her scent matched the one on the scarf, but having her arms wrapped around my back had my hackles rising.

A low growl rumbled in my chest, and Jess immediately let go with a gasp. She staggered backwards a few steps as I inwardly berated myself.

Her eyes narrowed as she asked me, "Why are you wearing sunglasses? It's cloudy today..."

My instincts were still up as I answered, making my voice rough. "I am a Nightstalker, Jess." I could never have predicted her reaction.

Blood drained from her face, and her eyes were wide with horror. She unconsciously took a few steps back as she stuttered, "I thought you were joking..."

My heart clenched as I stepped forward to reassure her. "Jess, it's still me, remember? I'm just a bit different."

"A bit different?!" Her voice rose a few octaves. "You're a zombie! Give me back my sister!"

Every word was like a blow to my heart as I stumbled back from my worst nightmare come to life.

"Jess, I..." I couldn't bring myself to snarl or even growl at her, despite the insults. I did the only thing my battered emotions would allow. I turned tail and fled into the forest.

*     *     *

My welding goggles were by my side as I stared at the roof of the pitch black cave. I couldn't even cry to grieve the relationship I once had. I had never hated anything more than the damn virus that ran through my veins.