Chapter Twenty-One

Eve

Eve headed home, fishing out her keys as soon as the house came into sight. She let out a harsh sigh as she unlocked the door, feeling the weight of her feelings settle on her shoulders. She dropped the keys onto the small table by the door and headed up the stairs, going straight to her room. She was grateful for the silence that greeted her, but a selfish part of her was annoyed that she'd have to run her own bath.

She undid her braid, running her fingers through the strands. The sounds of the square floated in through the double doors that lead to the balcony, flowers masking the more unpleasant smells that came with a city. She was about to pull the crop top over her head when she heard a noise downstairs. She stiffened, moving to the landing. Her heart was in her throat as she looked at the open door. She had definitely closed it. Not locked, but she had done the latch. She was sure. She strained her ears, listening for anything else, any sign of an intruder but she heard none.

She eased down the stairs, her slipper-clad feet silent on the marble steps. The thudding of her heart made her limbs heavy. She strained to listen, praying that no one was in the house. The silence in the house was almost painful. When she was certain she couldn't hear anything she quickly moved through the ground floor, checking the rooms and closing the windows. The heat would grow, but she would feel safer. She was just closing the window in Don's study when she noticed something that looked wrong.

The drawer in his desk was slightly open, scuff marks on the deep, polished wood around the lock. She pulled the drawer open and jumped back.

A lock of hair, golden and rich.

Her finger shook as she reached for the lock, one hand covering her mouth. She thought back to the hearing, a pit of dread opening in her stomach. Nadia had been blonde, supposedly Don's type. This... could this be her hair?

No. Don- He would never. He didn't kill anyone. He wasn't capable. The evidence was circumstantial at best. But this... what jury wouldn't find this somewhat compelling? It was just what Ned needed to get the actual case moved up.

Eve dipped her hand into the drawer pulling the lock out of it. She had to get rid of it. She wouldn't let them frame Don any more than he already had been. Her suspicions were confirmed an hour later when someone was pounding on the door. She stepped out of the soothing bathwater and pulled on her silken robe. She'd burned the hair before her bath and then thrown on some herbs to mask the smell.

She had thought long and hard during that hour. Someone was working hard to make Don guilty. Whether they were covering up their own actions or trying to frame Don, they had made a mistake. She was going to find the real murderer. And she'd do it before the month was up.

She opened the door, peering out into the sunny street at two muscular, tall city guards who had the manners to blush when they saw she was in a robe.

"Eve," Ned sneered, stepping out from behind the two guards. "Good afternoon. We have a writ from the courts to search the premises."

"By all means," she said, trying to sound surprised as she stepped aside and let the men in. "Although, the house has already been searched. I'm not sure what you'll hope to-"

Ned stormed passed, pushing the door into her and knocking her back a step. The guards shared a look and gave the back of Ned's pampered head a glare, muttering apologies to Eve.

Ned headed straight for the study and Eve felt a sense of satisfaction as he opened the drawer.

"Can I help you find something, Lord Svaunall?" she asked, keeping her voice light and sweet. "The study was searched twice over during the initial search. I believe a few items were taken in."