Lucky Is The One Who Sees It All

Lucky was a dog. A very loyal dog. He loved his human very much. He loved when his human would pick up his favorite green ball and throw it across the park. He enjoyed running across the grass, the exhilarating feeling of letting out all your strength. Lucky was, like his namesake, very lucky indeed.

When he had turned two months old, he had learnt of his human's name, Ava. Lucky loved Ava very much. To him, Ava was his whole world. Ava was his everything. Lucky always enjoyed the time he spent with Ava. To his baths, walks, feeding, and the his most favorite one of all, cuddling time. Ava would allow Lucky on the couch, every time she sat down and Lucky would snuggle his snout across Ava's stomach. Ava would laugh and say, "Stop! Stop!" But Lucky just became more encouraged and would happily lick Ava as his sign of affection.

Lucky was very lucky until...well, he wasn't.

During one of their usual cuddle sessions the doorbell rung. Lucky immediately started barking, going around in circles. He recognized the scent that was behind the door. It his grandma. It was Lucky's grandma!

"Coming! Coming!" Ava said as she got off the sofa and looked through the peephole. "It's your grandma!" Ava grinned at Lucky.

'Grandma! Grandma!' Lucky happily barked before standing on his hind legs and scratching the door, 'Open! Open!'

"Okay. Okay. Take it easy there. I'm opening it," Ava unlocked the door, letting her mother inside before swallowing her into a bear hug.

"Ack!" Lucky's grandmother, Rosalie, yelped. "This...I wasn't expecting that." Rosalie chuckled out.

Ava goofily grinned, "I just missed you Ma. So what brought you here?"

Rosalie, who had started petting the attention-needy Lucky, froze in her spot. "I...I just missed my daughter and my adowable wittle doggy," Rosalie gently pinched Lucky's cheeks.

"Okay?" Ava raised a brow, "I'll get us some coffee, let's talk on the couch Ma."

Rosalie sighed as she sat on the sofa, watching her daughter disappear into the kitchen. Lucky jumped right onto her, his head resting on her lap. "I'm not sure how I should tell her it apo. She won't take it well if she found out what's happening right now."

Lucky tilted his head. He couldn't fully understand what his grandma was talking about but, even to him, he knew she was sad. 'Don't cry grandma,' Lucky snuggled further onto Rosalie, 'I love grandma.'

Ava returned with two cups of piping hot coffee, the scent wafted into the air and entered Lucky's nose. He sniffed, 'Yummy!' He thought. He got off the couch and started circling Ava, silently begging his human to give him some of that deliciousness she was holding.

"Nuh uh! It's not for you," Ava said as she set down the two cups of coffee on the coffee table.

Lucky grumbled before returning to his grandma's side.

Ava pursed her lips, "So, Ma, what did you want to tell me?"

Rosalie trembled as she stroke Lucky's fur, "It's about your father."

"Okay, what about Pa? I thought he was in Bicol, right?" Ava took a few moment before screeching, "WAS HE ADMITTED AGAIN IN THE HOSPITAL?"

"No!" Rosalie jumped at her daughter's heightened tone. "No, Ian is fine it's just..." Rosalie trailed off, biting her lips. Does she really want to say this? She looked at Lucky who was innocently looking back at her with his big beady eyes.

"Just what Ma? You might kill me from the stress!" Ava exclaimed.

"We're in debt," Rosalie admitted.