Chapter 1

October 31

"Its going to be fun, don't worry." I try convincing James over the phone. His groan sounds through the phone. "I really don't know Audrey, your family is just so much."

I hate it whenever he talks about my family as if I'm his friend, but I let it go. "So you just want to stay at home passing out candy too little kids."

"Of course not, I would be hanging out with the boys." I was starting to get annoyed now. "Okay James thats fine, listen I have to go now, I'm really busy."

"Audrey you're not mad at me, right? Because I did nothing wrong, your family is just so much and Jack is throwing a party, which you were invited too, but I wanna go to that instead of being with your family." 

"That's fine James, I have to go, bye!" Hanging up the phone I let a frustrated sigh go.

"Trouble in paradise again." I hear my best friend for 17 years come through the door to my office.

"No it's just James, he doesn't want to come tonight because Jake  is throwing a party that is going to be a lot more fun." I choose to leave out the part of him thinking my family is too much because as much as I'm protective of them, Ashley is 10x more than me. Probably because of her relationship with not only me but my sweet brother. 

I've know Ashley for 17 years now, so my brother has known her the same amount. 

When we were 18 and my brother, Antony was 20, they started secretly hooking up. As a fling to start with but it turned into much much more 2 years later. Yeah, they weren't officially together until 2 years after they first had more than platonic feelings for each other. 

Now they have been together for 4 years and through that time my families love for her grew even more than before. 

Snapping me out of my thoughts is Ashley's sickly sweet voice,"I'm choosing not to say anything but all I'm going to say is that.. don't you see that there is something astronomically wrong with that!" 

Also ever since I myself started dating James Patterson 1 year ago, Ashley has hated him. 

"First of all that sentence made no sense, second of all I really have to work on this case, so please leave." I tell Ashely partly because I truly do have to go back to work but also because if we do have this conversation it will end the way it always does. 

"Fine fine, I have to go file some papers anyway." Ashley sas before leaving my office.

I work as a prosecution lawyer in a law firm on the Upper East Side in New York. I got my Law degree a year ago from Columbia University.

Ashley isn't a lawyer but a consultant for the same firm, so we see each other but not a lot.

......

I went home and got changed for my mom's holiday party. 

Every holiday no matter it being Christmas or Saint Patricks day my mom always throws a party.  A party that James my boyfriend should be attending, but is instead choosing to do something else.

Now I know I sound clingy and annoying but he hasn't come to one of my mom's parties in the past year, so they probably think I made this James character up.

Now I don't live near my work because although I am a lawyer I am not that rich, so I settled for a nice apartment in Brooklyn. 

Although it is an amazing apartment for the price, the building itself is horrible. This is only because there is always a problem, the Ac's don't work one day, or the heaters don't work another day.