Chapter 2: Let The Racing Begin

-Aidan's POV-

My barn was always filled with good 2 year olds, all coming from the same people. I never strongly favored one over the other, or knew which one would be the best horse, because they all end up doing great things in their career.

I had many maiden winners so far, I believe 12 out of the 20 I had sent out so far. Two of them had one stakes as well, the major being at Royal Ascot when a nice dark bay colt by the name of Melbourne won.

-September-

It would the colt by the name of Avalon's turn to try his first race. He was a colt I liked at sales and requested to be purchased. He wasn't the largest purchase in the field despite his 550,000 tag, but would go off as the 2nd choice at 3/1. The favorite was a nice colt by the name of Keen n Kind, but I figured we could handle him.

We were at Newmarket today, but my stable jockey Ryan Moore was elsewhere, so I had Frankie Dettori riding.

"If you sit towards the back we will be good, not last though. Have a good trip and we will be good." I told Frankie.

I gave him the leg up on the big Chestnut colt and he was off to the track.

-Frankie's POV-

I was not a usual customer to ride for Mr. O'Brien, but I knew I had to take this one with his pedigree. We jogged as we warmed up for the race, nothing heavy but enough to be ready.

We started to load into the barriers, he had the 2nd of 5, but that didn't matter with the straight course and small field. They were all in the gate, and all standing still.

RING

Avalon broke well, but I restrained him quickly, deciding to place him 4th out of the 5 runners. We sat in a comfortable position, never getting bumped through the opening 2 furlongs. We settled into a nice rhythm, his stride was one of the best I had ever seen, and he had very fluid strides reminiscent of the great Dubai Millennium. I almost forgot I was racing when we ran inside the final 1/2 mile. Time to move. I swung my horse towards the outside of Invisible Spirit and Keen n Kind, who were both 2 lengths behind longshot Dubawi Sky, Ptolemy started to pick up as well right in behind us. I heard a shout from Richard, making me think I drifted into his colt, but either way I kept riding. We ran inside the 1/8th pole and Ptolomy quickly moved up on our side as we moved past the others. I had the lead but Ptolomy stuck his head in front. I hit Avalon with the whip and he drifted left, bumping the towering colt. I knew it wouldn't help, and we lost by 1/2 a length. I cursed under my breath as we galloped out past Ptolomy and I congratulated Richard.

I rode my colt back to Aidan. Even with this loss, I knew we would make it big.

-Aidan's POV-

This was a bad loss, but one we would learn from. He would run in Ireland next time out, a maiden. I ideally want him in a race like the Autumn for his stakes debut, but we knew the Breeders Cup was in mind.