The Blacksmith

[A collection of short diary entries written by Kai Smith, dating to the duration of his initial training with Master Wu]

When I complained about nothing ever happening in our shop or the nearby villages, I didn't mean this.  I would never mean for any of this to happen.  Nya's all I have, there's nothing more to be said.  Now the old man who stopped by Four Weapons is helping me.  Or so that's what he says.  Apparently, it's suddenly my destiny to train and unlock my "potential," to "awaken the fire inside me."  As soon as I rescue Nya, I'm leaving this place.  I never thought I'd be so happy to go back to how it was, to smoke and icy water and metal everywhere, and the crackle of a good strong fire.  To when (almost) everything was under control.  I'd trade any of my supposed "potential" to see my sister safe at home, and to get back to where I belong, too.  Working as a blacksmith.  Maybe I'll learn how to craft swords as well as my father, maybe I'll never do more than make a mess.  At least there I've never felt lost and alone.

~~~

I failed the stupid training course.  Again.  This old man has no idea who he's talking to.  He should know that making weapons is entirely different from wielding them, let alone fighting in any way.  Not fighting, training, he would say.  Right.  As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing.  The same old routine that shouldn't involve me.  Yet here I am.  Knowing Nya, she would probably enjoy this.  Either way, she wouldn't give up on me.  And I certainly don't plan on giving up on her.  

~~~

Three days in a row and the routine is already getting old.  It doesn't help that he only watches me attempt it once before leaving.  Oh well, at least I've learned to keep practicing on my own time.  My wrist hurts, I probably sprained it trying to transition from my pushups into sprinting into the course.  My bruises from the first day haven't disappeared, I don't know if they ever will.  I hope Nya really appreciates me turning my ribs black and blue for her sake.

~~~

He is silent most of the time.  Always drinking his tea.  That can't be healthy, can it?  I don't think he's even watching anymore, not except for the beginning and end to make sure I don't cheat and to berate me for failing again.  Doesn't he have something better to do with his time?

~~~

Ow.  I can't say I really remember my body aching more than it does right now.  Not even when I tried to climb those rocks when I was nine years old and was almost crushed by a boulder twice my size, and not when I carelessly sliced along my entire forearm when sharpening a knife.  This is a new kind of pain.  It kept me from writing at all yesterday, and the day before too, not that it matters.  Nothing much has changed since I first arrived here.  It burns like nothing I've experienced before.  Maybe this is why the old man keeps muttering under his breath about "fire that burns inside" and "strength within."  I know nothing about "strength within," if anything I'm getting weaker from all of this physical exertion.  I do know about fire.  Fire is tough, unbreakable.  It bites when bitten, when challenged.  It can't be tamed.  I should know.  What was more painful than any amount of training was when I learned just that.  I was as careless as ever, and the flames trailed up my arms and along my back before I knew what was happening.  It was strange, I should have been too far away for the fire to even touch me.  Even stranger was that I didn't feel any pain at first, nothing besides a faint tingle.  Then I dropped to the floor, rolled over, and felt its searing heat.  By that time it was out, and Nya was yelling, and I was suddenly soaking wet.  I bet I could teach him a thing or two about fire.

~~~

I had to skip writing again.  I bashed my hand up pretty good.  The old man doesn't seem to think very highly of me, but at least he seemed slightly sympathetic about my injuries.  I wonder if everyone who trains to become a ninja ends up in this much pain.  Somehow I suspect that isn't the case, but since it's likely I won't be meeting a ninja anytime soon, I guess I won't have an answer to that particular question.

~~~

He no longer makes comments about me being a hothead.  By no means does that mean I've dropped my temper, or my strong-willed nature as I prefer to think of it, but it helps that he seems more encouraging than before.  Funny, because he's nearly as silent as ever.  We still talk, sometimes.  A couple days ago I saw him sweeping the courtyard and tried to talk to him, and now he occasionally tolerates slight conversation.  Until I make the tiniest bit of progress in the course, fail yet again, and he disappears back into the monastery.  

~~~

His name is Wu.  He casually mentioned that he is known by students as "Sensei Wu" or "Master Wu," but since he obviously doesn't have any students he'll have to wait to use the honorifics.  Not that he hasn't earned them.  As frustrating as the guy can be, he is both wise and strong.  Not bad for such an old man.

~~~

Despite everything that's happened, I almost forgot why I started this training to begin with.  Almost.  I'm still afraid for Nya and what could happen to her.  But now I'm no longer afraid what will happen to me.  It's funny how much confidence and strength you get from getting beaten up and knocked around a few times.  It probably helps that each time I fall I make sure to get up and back on my feet, even if my chance for the day is wasted.  The scrapes and blows no longer burn, I can feel them but not nearly as much as before.  I just keep pushing through.  I could have sworn I saw him smile yesterday, a genuine smile.  I haven't really been on the receiving end of a smile before, but he looked proud.  Even I haven't felt that way towards myself.  Until now. Today is the day, it has to be.  No more waiting.  I've trained for days.  Now it's time to save my sister.  Time to prove myself.  Time to unleash my inner fire.