CHAPTER 5

My mom hadn't come out of her room since she left the kitchen and i didn't want to bother her on all three occasions when i stood outside her door with my hand hovering over the knob, listening to her muffled sobs.

A part of me wanted to comfort and console her but another part of me, wanted me to allow her let it out, believing it'll help her calm down a bit.

Although i had gone with the latter i was still worrying and in the time of her absence, i placed cling film over my leftover meal which I couldn't finish, placed it in the fridge and cleared the dishes.

All that while, i was anticipating a call from the police but they hadn't called with any updates or new developments about the situation,and all i wanted to do was sleep my worry away, until it was time for the search in the woods because we needed all the energy.

As i made my way upstairs, the sound of the doorbell made me reverse my steps to check on who it may be, hoping that it was the police because their silence since their visit was slowly eating me up. We don't know if there's any progress or setbacks and it's unnerving

I opened the door to surprisingly find the person who i left on read, the person i was momentarily angry at and the person my mom sided with.

As we stood in silence, one thing that was clear was he knew. He knew what had happened from the apologetic look in his eyes. Words weren't needed as he opened his arms and i rushed into his embrace, bursting the dam that i had been holding in since the very beginning.

As his arms held me, in solidarity and comfort, whatever irritation i felt towards him seeped through my eyes and in long breaths as i clutched his shirt, fisting and twisting in an attempt to hold back a wail of despair.

"Let it out, I'm here" he kisses my hair, gently opening the door and walking in, whiles my head was, buried in his chest until i felt him sit on the couch, pulling me into his embrace with soothing strokes on my back.

As moments passed by, my sobs lessened until all was quiet between us and in the house.
"I know my question may be inconvenient but how are you holding up?" i chuckled. It may sound that way but it was a valid question and after crying my eyes out, i felt fine enough. Yes, i was still worried but the emotional turmoil had subsided significantly, at least to a point where i could breathe properly

"I'm better at least" i get off him, sitting by his side and placing my head on his thighs. He looked down with a small smile on his face as he twisted my curls around his finger, looking momentarily lost in thought.

"What were you thinking of?" he blinks and glances down at me as if his attention was elsewhere

"It's just surprising to think that something like this would happen in our town, much more happen to you. Someone who's living a peaceful life, minding their own business. When i heard of it from Charlie, i was baffled. I wanted to check on you but I couldn't leave school since they wouldn't allow me" i get up, staring at him with creased brows trying to process who he mentioned

"Did you just say Charlie? How does she even know?" i felt a little bit bitter at the mention of her name since she's been persistently going after Kaden from the beginning of High-school. For some reason, i wanted to draw a line between them but i didn't want to control who he interacts with, if he even interacts with her. It's not who i am and i won't appreciate someone doing that to me.

"It's a small town, news gets around faster than a heartbeat and the police were putting posters up. But please,don't focus on Charlie. It's not like that" he cups my cheek in his palm and i lean into his touch, closing my eyes.

For a moment i feel glad but a wave of guilt washes over me, as i remembered that i left him on read. Kaden may not address it since he's not bothered about such things unless it's consistent, but i wanted it to be out there.