𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅

THE TRAGICALL HISTORIE OF HAMLET,
PRINCE OF DENMARK

' and above all — to thine own self be true,and it must follow, as the night the day,thou canst not then be false to any man

and it must follow, as the night the day,
thou canst not then be false to any man. '

william shakespeare, hamlet, i.iii

CAIR PARAVEL, KINGDOM OF NARNIA,
THE GOLDEN AGE, MAY 1011.
reign of the sons of adam and daughters of eve

     my dearest, delphine,

i'm sure your past week at court has been rather alien, a place where the stars hang still, soft, bright above the ribbons and rivers of gold. i seem to recall, from the last time your father and i visited, the great eastern ocean dazzles below your feet like the crown jewels, trembling in brilliant blue. the very same crown jewels that you will soon wear.

the court of cair paravel is a benevolent one, once wed to the high king, his siblings, the narnian monarchy, will treat you as a sister. but do not be fooled, this is a marriage of convenience, a marriage of duty to your husband and to your father — to me. the high king is under no obligation to love you, for love is fickle and foolish in our regal world, i do not care if you yearn for it — unite our houses and provide an heir. it is your duty as a woman and the future high queen of narnia. do not disappoint me.

but always remember, i do so dearly love you, my delphine, a feeling that you may no longer encounter. be brave, courageous and noble — you may soon be a queen of narnia, but you will always be a princess of archenland. the future of our great nation rests upon your shoulders. love him or loathe him, i do not care, this marriage will secure out future — your father expects it. as do i.

stay true, my little dove — to your king, your husband, and to your family.

mother loves you, with all her heart.

     signed,
     bernadette, empress of archenland.

———

"if you love me, mama, why did you send me away?" delphine mutters, clutching onto the gilded envelope with a grip of a vice, eyes sparkling with tears unshed. "i want to go home — he won't even look at me.... i am alone. utterly alone."