Prologue

Light distantly gleamed from the spiral path of the Moonpool. The quarter moon rose over the lake, shimmering its beautiful waters. Stars glittered coldly from the night-blue sky, and greenish clouds shrouded over the moon. Leafpool glanced at Brambleclaw, the ThunderClan leader was leaning on her shoulder, letting out gusty breaths that heaved from his broad chest. "Are you sure you'll be able to make it? We can take a break."

"Sorry," Brambleclaw sighed. "It's just been a long walk. I'm not used to it." He rasped. Leafpool studied his wounds, they were still patched up well, surely, he'd be able to make it. Leafpool rounded the large pool and placed her tail to where Brambleclaw needed to sit. Brambleclaw struggled down the slope and sat awkwardly next to Leafpool, stumbling slightly. When he saw the Moonpool, he craned his neck down and started to lap at it. Leafpool touched her nose to the water, immediately feeling a cold shiver run down her spine and she fell into a deep sleep.

When she woke, she was at the Moonpool, balancing on one of the stones, fog covered the clearing and rousing from the pool was a bright flame-colored tom with green eyes, gaze glittering with starshine and paws edging stars. "Welcome to StarClan, Brambleclaw!" As he padded closer, he blinked. "Is Brambleclaw ready?" Leafpool was speechless, she was facing her dead father. "Firestar...StarClan did welcome you."

"Yes, but I must know if Brambleclaw is here." Firestar pressed; Leafpool hesitated. "Isn't he here? He touched his nose to the water." 

"Hello?" A voice bounced off the walls of the stone hollow. "H-Hello? Is that you, Firestar?" A broad-shouldered dark brown tabby emerged into the mist, Leafpool cringed, for a moment she thought the tabby was Hawkfrost. But as she saw his amber eyes, she realized with a pang that it was Brambleclaw. "Are you ready to receive your nine lives?" Leafpool asked, relief flooding her. Firestar gazed at Brambleclaw for a few heartbeats.

"He can't have his nine lives," he replied flatly, turning his head toward Leafpool. Brambleclaw recoiled. "Why not? Is it because I'm Tigerstar's son?" He queried, claws digging into the shore of the Moonpool. "Of course not," Firestar hissed, "That's cliche that I believed many moons ago. Brambleclaw, you can't be leader because you died."

As Leafpool looked closer, she recognized the starry pelt of the ThunderClan leader. "Oh, StarClan," she murmured. "You can't be dead," Leafpool stared at Brambleclaw, rage burning in her belly hotly. "You-" she stammered. "You told me you were okay!" Leafpool growled. "I didn't- I just didn't want to worry you, Leafpool, honest. My Clan meant more than my health." Brambleclaw cowered beside Firestar. "Now that you're dead, you aren't helping ThunderClan. Now, your Clan is leaderless, it's all your fault! You foolish mouse-brain!" Leafpool snapped. 

Brambleclaw glimpsed at Firestar. "Leafpool, what Brambleclaw has done was a bad decision, but he cares for his Clan. And so should you, he's your Clanmate, now. You must return leaderless and take over leadership until you can contact us again. We'll show you what to do."