7) Tell It To The Frogs

The group were stripping down the Dodge Challenger the next morning.

Dale suggested they salvage parts for the RV and try to get more fuel and now Glenn was forced to watch them with his arms crossed and a downcast glare. Cassie had to bite her cheek to stop a laugh slipping out as she walked over to him and Rick.

"You doing okay, dude?" She asked.

"Vultures." Was all he said as the mentioned 'vultures' turned to look at him. "Yeah, go on. Strip it clean."

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get." Dale defended. "Got no power without it. Sorry, Glenn."

"Thought I'd get to drive it at least a few more days."

"We'll go to the city again." Cassie told him, her tone genuine. "We'll stay all day if we have to, but we'll find you another one."

"You'd really do that for me?"

"Hell yeah, you have best friend privilege now. Just don't tell Liana. She's very defensive."

"Too late." The mentioned woman said, jokingly sticking up her middle finger as she helped with the car.

Cassie snorted. "Love you, darling."

"Bite me."

"Again, you really need to stop saying that. Someone actually might."

"Whatever."

"She your sister?" Rick asked.

Cassie smiled but shook her head. "I wish. But we've known each other since college so it's close enough. The only one strong enough to deal with my baggage."

After they talked some more, she soon walked off just as Shane arrived in a jeep. A large barrel was in the back.

"Water's here, y'all." He announced, hopping out. "Just a reminder to boil before use."

Cassie eyed him curiously, noticing he seemed different since Rick got back. It was almost as if he was guilty or agitated and she had a vague idea of why that would be, namely his and Lori's extended disappearances in the woods. Still, she didn't bother getting into it because it was their drama, not hers.

Suddenly there was a scream from the forest which was followed by a yell. "Mom!"

Recognising the yells as Sophia and Carl, Cassie reached for the knife at her belt and took off with everyone else towards the source of their voices.

They found the kids at the perimeter and checked they were safe. When that was done, they went further into the trees to find what had startled them so bad. It turned out to be a walker eating from the neck of a dead deer that had arrows sticking out of it.

The men ran forward, beating the walker with whatever they'd picked up from camp during the rush. Cassie saw that they all managed to miss the head and strode forward to kill the thing herself.

She stabbed it in the head and then kicked the body away.

"It's from the city?" She guessed, observing the clothes.

"It's the first one we've had up here." Dale nodded. "They never come this far up the mountain."

"Well they're runnin' out of food in the city, that's what." Jim deduced.

A branch suddenly snapped nearby and they all turned around, expecting another walker.

It was Daryl.

"Son of a bitch." Was the first thing he said. "That's my deer! Look at it! All gnawed on by this filthy, disease-bearing, motherless, poxy bastard!"