Chapter 22: Plans Set In Motion

A squeaking from Bell is what woke Camille up on that Saturday morning. He was angry to have been woken up by the knocking on her bedroom door. With a soft pat on the head, she hushed the creature before swinging her legs over the side of the bed. Her little feet padded across the carpet and while one hand rubbed at her left eye, the other one ripped open the door to see the face of her maid. The maid looked startled as she saw the disheveled appearance of her mistress.

"I..Uhh...Your parents have requested your presence downstairs, miss. I'm very sorry to have woken you up." The maid was looking scared as she ran off down the hall back to do the rest of her duties. This left Camille to shut the door behind her before turning to the mirror to see why the maid was scared.

Her hair was a tangled mess across her head, sticking up haphazardly like someone had teased it and hairsprayed it into place. What little eyeliner she had worn the day before that she could not get off was smudged under her eyes and her shirt that she wore was eschew. The more she thought about this, the more she knew why the maid had been scared. It brought a small smile to her lips before she shook her head and went to the adjoining bathroom to begin getting ready for the day.

Donning an off white dress with a blue ribbon around the top, she stared into the mirror with a sigh. Her damp hair was scraped to the side in a braid before she placed a headband of fake flowers around her head. Usually she would not take the time to add pointless accessories, but she felt that today would be a good day for some reason. Something told her that it would be a good idea.

What did her parents want her for? It was not one of those days where suitors would normally show up. Unless they were trying to trick her into coming down. Nah, they would not be that smart. Something was up and she wanted to get to the bottom of it quickly in hopes that she could go about her day. She planned to go to this cool shop that opened up across town that sold different plants to add to the back part of the garden that she had secretly been growing flowers in the past few months. Her parents rarely went that far back into the garden and it was the perfect therapy for her muddled thoughts.

Pushing those thoughts away, Camille left her bathroom to search her closet for some white flats that would go great with her dress. Upon finding them, she slipped them on and called out to Bell. The ferret hopped up on the dresser and then onto her shoulders before winding around her neck where he settled himself as per usual. With that she left her room to go downstairs.

The atmosphere in the dining room was different than usual. It reminded her of the time she had been asked to come home to discuss her parents' plans for her future. As her small hand pushed the door open the rest of the way, she found someone was seated in her place at the table next to her father. Her mother was sitting across from the person and wore an uncharacteristic smile upon her lips. This was not going to be good.

Camille walked into the room and neared the person seated in her spot. The closer she got, the more it started to dawn on her who it was. Kyoya Ootori was sitting at her dinner table with her parents. He was having tea with her parents. He was acting like it was common place and that he was very good friends with them. She stopped in her tracks a few steps away and tried to keep her expression blank as could be before she looked from Kyoya to her parents.

"Ah, yes. Mr. Ootori. This would be our daughter, Camille. She is the one we spoke to you about." Her father introduced her with a proud smile. This let her know that he had not let her parents know that the two of them knew each other. She needed to play this off if things were to go according to the plan that she was catching on to quickly.

"It is nice to meet you." She says quietly, surprising her parents with her choice of words. The emotion flooded their faces for a few moments as they shared a look before looking back at the two children before them with a renewed set of smiles. They thought that they were making a breakthrough and it caused Camille to hide a small smile.

"It is nice to meet you as well. Your parents have been telling me much about you. I'm sorry that I came on an off day, but this is the first day I have not been busy since I arrived in the country." He said in a cool tone before looking over to her parents,"I was wondering if I could have a few moments alone with your daughter. Is there anywhere we can go to speak and get to know one another?"

Her mother was quick to answer,"Oh, why don't you show him the garden? I know you spend quite a bit of time there and I'm sure it would be a relaxing place to talk."

Camille nodded and then gestured for Kyoya to follow her before they exited the room and walked down the hallway toward the back patio. The walk toward the garden was full of tension and no words were said until they were thick into the flora that had been growing in the back of the garden. That was when she stopped to turn around and look at him.

They looked at each other for a few moments before they burst out into laughter that neither of them would normally have allowed to happen if they were in front of others. The two of them clutched their stomachs as they bent over with laughter before wiping at their eyes.

"That was great! I had no clue what was going to happen when I came downstairs. It was a surprise to see you sitting there." She admitted as she started to sober up from her laughter.

"Well, I told you I would be coming." He said with a smirk before looking down at her.

"You didn't tell me when! I felt like I was going to give up at any minute." She swatted at his arm playfully before moving over to sit on the stone bench near a bunch of wildflowers.

"I'm here now. Though I do intend to tell you the rest of my plan now that we are putting it into motion. You need to be prepared so that you can act accordingly." He said before moving over to sit next to her. He turned toward her slightly and fixated her with a serious gaze. "Your parents think that I am a suitor here to ask for your hand in marriage. My plan is for it to show that we are starting to get along and that you favor me. This will mean that we will agree to become engaged, but my condition will be that we must wed in Japan. My family will have to be there is the reasoning."

Camille nodded as she took all of this in. It surprised her that he would be willing to risk all of this just to help her out. It also raised suspicion that he had some other motive behind it all. This was all exciting to her and the thought of being engaged to Kyoya, even though it would be a farce, was enough to send her heart beating into overdrive. "So all of this will be a complete trick? What happens once we are in Japan?"

Kyoya looked down for a moment and remained silent, as if picking his words carefully. When he finally looked up at her, she felt her breath catch in her throat. If it were possible he looked more serious than he had before he started explaining his plan. "Best case scenario, we come up with a reason to call off the wedding and find a way to keep you in Japan."

She nodded before she looked away and chewed on her lip,"Worst case scenario?"

"We have to go through with the wedding and be married before everyone we know. Are you prepared for that to happen?"