•T H I R T Y - T H R E E•

• February 28th, 1775 •

On a particularly gloomy afternoon, the ladies were taking tea and biscuits in the Queen's Solar. Despite the grayness outside, Clémentine spoke with Queen Penelope and Cecily about her bridesmaids and ladies-in-waiting.

"I understand you may not be available to fulfill lady duties," said Clémentine, addressing Cecily, who gave a brief nod as she sipped on her drink. "But I do hope you would be one of my bridesmaids?"

Cecily beamed. "That is not even a question," she said, reaching over to pat Clémentine's leg. "Forgive me, but I had already assumed as much and have started looking into patterns and fabrics for the entire crew."

Queen Penelope indulged them in one of her rare smiles. "It pleases me that you are adjusting so well and making friends," she said, leaning in closer to Clémentine.

Clémentine's neck heated as a flush flounced up to her cheeks. "Lady Cecily has been a dear since the moment I arrived. She and her mother-in-law introduced me to many others like me. Outsiders." She winced, catching herself before telling the Queen the truth about Cecily and her friends. "Women who were not always accepted at court."

Queen Penelope's smile faltered. "All of which are accepted, but they like to gather in separate rooms and discuss scandals away from my delicate ears." At Clémentine's muffled gasp, the Queen surprisingly let out a small bout of laughter. "Fret not, Clémentine. I have always known about Lady Cecily and her gossip group. And I knew you were a part of it. I allow it. Eventually, anything they converse about gets to me. I am the Queen, after all."

"Who...?" Clémentine pursed her lips. "Ah, of course." She fiddled with the kerchief placed in her lap. "Lady Rose. She will have been the one to report everything to you."

A glint of some unreadable emotion flitted across Queen Penelope's face. "Indeed. You are sharp. And so is Lady Rose." She sighed and brought her cup to her mouth. "The poor thing. I hear she is not getting any better, and her father worries for her. We are sending some of our physicians once Victor gets home."

A gentle knock on the door silenced everyone.

"Yes?" The Queen rose, aided by Clémentine, who rose with her. Most ladies were inside the Solar, and the men were all on a hunt out of Torrinni.

Who would be knocking? Who would interrupt their peaceful get-together?

The door creaked open, and a young squire—one of the few left behind—poked his nose in. "There is a... an arrival, Majesty," he said, bowing.

"An arrival?" Queen Penelope arched an eyebrow. "We have a guest, you mean to say? Whom?"

The boy flinched, then lowered his gaze to his shoes. "Lady Pauline Auer of Spestein."

***

It took several minutes for Queen Penelope to dismiss everyone. She didn't want a horde of ladies to go and welcome the young woman, who tended to not be so friendly towards Totresians. But once all her groupies were out of the Solar, she grabbed Clémentine's sleeve and held her back.