( prologue. )

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾                     ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
EIGHT YEARS AGO

TWO LINES.

That's all they were. Two lines of a mistaken hookup. Two lines of a moment which two kids locked eyes for the first time. Two lines which became the catastrophic issue between father and son. Two lines which caused the bearer of miraculous news to shudder in fear. 

"You shouldn't have gotten involved," a brief stroke of a hand through her hair made an influx of emotions she thought lost to blaze like a wildfire. "That Dutton boy will be your downfall, Mela."

Two lines, meant to be joyous, became a hellish nightmare.

Somewhere deep inside, buried under the ash of her turbulent thoughts, she felt all her power rush out with a shaky exhale. 

Telling the boy she danced with what those two lines meant, it caused her heart to shatter into a million pieces when she saw the despair in his eyes. He hadn't been ready for this. He for sure never expected the one time they hooked up this would be its outcome.

Two lines created a fork in the road with a path of choices ahead.

Her coal-black hair became curtains over a pale face in the moonlight. Her hands cupped in her denim jacket's pockets, shielding an embarrassing tremble beneath the skin. Lips pressed firmly to hold back the words she wanted to say to the man she has come to love. A boy turned man in a matter of seconds.

A boy and a girl, none the stranger, from different worlds. This was their catalyst. It forced them to meet and to hear the hardened truth of their endeavors. No sign except two lines forced them to choose where their future lies, and even then, they will still suffer.

"I'm here," he whispers, hand reaching over as if to hold her own but retreats as an afterthought. "and I'm not going anywhere."

The feeling of a leather chair, a hospital gown, and a biting gel lathered on a dauntingly flat stomach, it made reality hit her straight in the face. She felt it bruise with eyes watering as the shapes appear on the monitor. Fear becomes buried by hope, and hope survives.

His father expected more of him. He expected duty over feeling. He expected his son to have common sense. He forced him to choose from this mistake. The boy turned man could have chosen a road more traveled to rid something like this, but he didn't.

As a flattened stomach swells to hold his future, to blanket who he promises to protect, his chest fills with pride and also burns of a brand enforcing loyalty from which he came. He finds peace in loving arms, doting eyes, and constant reassurances of his future wife.

"I hate you," she whispers in the air, I love you, is what she means. Her clear eyes soften the blow as he sinks into the grass beside her. "I'm supposed to hate you, but I know I never will."

Words of the father brushes his ears and gets coddled by her hands, crushing his will to breath as he made up his mind. His eyes water as he rests his head upon her shoulder. No one would touch a hair on his girl and he'd deal with his sins when judgement day comes.

Two lines in pink. Fingers grip the stick delicately like it could break in half and obliterate its meaning. A baby. He'd be a father. He'd be a man. He'd be her husband. He'd make her his wife. He'd treat their baby with care and love, unlike their own tragic upbringing.

His eyes were brighter than she's ever seen. His grin widening to the point of breaking. She feared he'd walk away, he'd tell her to get rid of them, or get rid of her instead. She'd be a name crossed out on his list of conquests, a name with no meaning left to be proud of.

Two lines soon meets a silver band. Symbols of a future, a hand to hold in its darkest times - she felt fear creep in again, but he understands. If he couldn't marry her then, he'd marry her some day. If she had to wear the band as a promise, she'd mold it to her skin.

"Not today, not tomorrow," he whispers wrapping her in his arms under the stars. "Some day, I will marry you, and I'll make it my duty to keep you happy and safe, till death and beyond."

He keeps his promise. He always did.

She always yearned for the feeling of heaven, and he became hers.

"Till death and beyond," she whispers, sealing the promise with a kiss, and she clutches him tighter as the world slowly grows colder around them. For at that moment, she didn't know how bad it was going to get, but she knew with him at her side, she'd beat the odds.

[ december 30, 2022 ]© quinnjordan

© quinnjordan