three

"Isabella?" I heard as soon as I entered the foster youth home that I had opened up when I was eighteen with the help of my Zia Florence.

I turned around and smiled widely when I saw Big Mikey, "Missed me?"

"Always Ivanov, we all did. Especially Jamie."

"Is he here now?" I asked as I glanced around.

"No, he's in his room reading like always."

"We'll go see him in a bit, Bella. Don't forget we have things to do while we're here." Abel whispered softly in my ear, and I nodded.

"My father has requested additional people in New York, Italy, and Mexico. He hasn't decided where yet, but he'll send that information over to you by tomorrow evening." I said to Big Mikey as I continued looking around at all the remodeling done to the building. "I'm here to pick who goes."

"Well, you came at the right time. Romeo is training right now, and he's gotten really good in the past year." Big Mikey said as he gestured for us to follow him. We went down a long hallway and entered double doors that led to a big gymnasium. In the middle stood a boxing ring where two teenage boys were fighting.

Big Mikey reached over to a table and handed me their files; I looked through them before handing over only one to Abel. Vincent seemed the most capable; they had recently turned 18 and had been at the residence for five years.

"I want to get in the ring with Vincent," I said to Big Mikey while I took off my rings and then coat.

"Mouse, out the ring." Big Mikey called out, and I took his place.

"Ms. Ivanov," Vincent said as he lowered his head.

"Don't go easy; I need to see what you're fully capable of," I explained as I looked at his stance. "You might guard my dad, Abel, a shipment, or me. So I need to see how capable you are."

He gave me a sharp nod, and I mirrored it.

He was quick with his first hit, which I could partially block, but he still managed to hit my side. We continued to fight for several minutes, landing kicks, hits, and punches on each other along the way. He was able to knock me off my feet, and we wrested on the floor, trying to gain control until I was able to get on top of time and put him in a chokehold. I let go and sat on the floor, exhausted.

"If you had resisted a little more, I'm sure you would have been able to gain control again," I said to him and chuckled a little. "But you know that. You just decided not to."

"I didn't want to risk actually hurting you." He said sheepishly, wiping his sweat off his face with his shirt.

"Thank you because I'm sure I would have ended with several broken ribs." I got up and extended a hand to him, which he took. "I would like to ask you on behalf of the Ivanovs that you formally join us. That is if you wish to do so."

He lowered his head again and kissed my hand before bringing it up to his forehead. "It would be my pleasure to serve the family."

"It's an honor to have you be one of us," I said truthfully. "I hope that you will continue to grow under our wing. As you protect us, we will protect you. You will never face a day alone, in hunger or need."

- - - -

"You are a lot like your mother, you know." Big Mikey said as we walked toward the living quarters. "The way you carry yourself and the love and happiness you bring to those around you."

"Thank you," I responded, but honestly, I wish he hadn't said that. It only reminded me of my Uncle and what he could want with me. Did he want to kill me because I was like my mother?