Secrets

Team Miraculous have a new secret mission, to retrieve a stolen butterfly brooch from the house of Governor Gabriel Agreste and prevent it from falling into the hands of Akuma. If only team leaders Adrien and Marinette could keep their minds on the job and not on each other. A Secret Agent AU. Written for the Miraculous Fanworks Anniversary Prompts.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng, code named Ladybug, was one of the best spies in the business. Along with her espionage partner Adrien Fathom known as Chat Noir, they had completed more than 15 missions together in the last five years along with their trusted teammates, Alya Césaire - Rena Rouge, Nino Lahiffe - Carapace and Chloé Bourgeois- Queen Bee. As a team, they were entrusted with the most dangerous missions of Miraculous International, their identities known only to each other.

At 27, Adrien was two years older than the rest of the team and was by far the most experienced agent. Trained personally under the renowned Wang Fu, he was known for his fighting skill and quick wit, although no one knew much about his background. Marinette only knew that he joined Miraculous fresh out of high school, but beyond that was a mystery. An insanely good looking mystery.

At first, Marinette didn't think he thought much of her. He was hesitant when Fu insisted Chat Noir train her and his closed, stand offish persona made her nervous. It took some time but eventually they came to trust one another and there were times when Marinette thought they may have even become more, but he never crossed that line. Adrien was kind and sincere, but always a professional.

Sitting beside Adrien in the meeting room, Marinette inconspicuously glanced her eyes over the open leather jacket he was wearing, his hair slicked back into a low ponytail. She almost envied the high school students he taught Physics to for his cover job. He might not have been attracted to her, but she was sure attracted to him, even if she was trying to hide it.

When The Master, Wang Fu, called the Miraculous team to HQ late one night for a briefing they knew the situation must have been serious. A lost artifact, a butterfly brooch, was being held in the safe of the Governor Gabriel Agreste deep within his mansion. Gabriel was a well known sympathiser of Akuma, an international criminal organisation with one goal in mind, world domination. The only thing standing in their way was Team Miraculous.

"I don't get it." Alya said, leaning onto the round meeting table. "What would Akuma want with a piece of jewelry?"

"We are not sure as yet Rena." Fu said while rubbing his beard. "But they are willing to pay a high price for it and are sending their most ruthless agent, Volpina, to collect the package. Your mission will be to retrieve the brooch before Volpina can take it to Akuma."

Picking up a remote, Fu turned on a large screen showing the Governor's personal mansion. Marinette noticed Adrien shifted uncomfortably beside her but she focused her attention back on Fu.

"The Governor will be holding the mid-winter masquerade ball in his personal home this year. This gives us the perfect opportunity to enter undetected. Queen Bee has already been undercover and has used her social contacts to obtain tickets to the event. Our London contact, Argos, has also confirmed that Volpina will be there too, so be on your guard. Chat Noir, as team leader with Ladybug I will leave you two to finalise the details for the mission." Fu said with a pointed look and a nod as he handed Adrien a document. Adrien seemed to have understood the unsaid message and nodded back in response, looking resigned. "Remember, do not allow the package to get out into the open. If Volpina escapes with the brooch, we can not foresee the consequences. Queen Bee, Rena and Carapace, be sure to visit Max in IT before you leave, he has some new equipment for you."

Fu bid everyone goodnight and Alya, Nino and Chloé made their way out of the office. Adrien picked up the paperwork Fu had given him and looked over it while Marinette took out her phone.