[003] engagements cause problems

003. engagements cause problems

Emerald has seen many terrible things in her lifetime, but the destruction of District Eight has to be up there

Emerald has seen many terrible things in her lifetime, but the destruction of District Eight has to be up there. News had spread fast through this place, word of Katniss and Peeta's engagement, and from there everything has spiraled.

The brunette had been sleeping in the guest room of Phoenix's home, which is where she's been staying now after the incident with her mother a while back, when the first explosion rocked the area. At first she'd thought that perhaps one of the factories had an explosion, that something had malfunctioned and it caused an accident. However, that simply wasn't the case.

Instead, whilst she was sleeping, the District had decided to rebel against the Peacekeeping forces and show the Capitol that they were indeed serious about the oncoming rebellion. As expected, it had turned disastrous. Several buildings were taken over by the residents and they'd stood strong for quite sometime until the Capitol had decided to step in.

Thousands of Peacekeepers sent in and all the buildings that had been taken over were bombed. She'd woken to the sound of the Justice Building being turned to a pile of rubble and the screams of injured people, people she knew. It's impossible to tell how many people had died, who was still living under the fallen pieces of the buildings, but any talk of rebellion has been silenced — for now anyway.

Emerald opens her blinds, sighing as the world around her continues to be a dull grey. There's still places in the distance that glow under the light of large fires, smoke polluting the air and making it hard to see much else. She cannot even see the other homes in the village from here, her house blocked out by the smoke.

She's not even allowed to leave, not that she particularly wants to go back to her own home, because the entire district has now been placed into a harsh lockdown. Nobody can go to work either as the factories have been shutdown for a while.

It's like a ghost town, the streets abandoned and the front doors locked up. Peacekeepers are situated all over the place, hundreds of them around to make sure that nobody even chances leaving their home. They gather rebels, the ones who defy the orders of President Snow, and take them away. They're so much harsher than before, so much so that they've even begun to show executions in the television. It's the only thing that can be seen when turning it on, any other time of the day it's simply static.

"Em? Esme has made breakfast. Apparently Snow is making an announcement to the District as well," Phoenix calls from the other side of the bedroom door.

"Give me a second!" She speaks back, closing the blinds again so she no longer has to the destructive mess that is her District. The room immediately dims again, but it's rather comforting to not have to see the light orange tinge to her walls.

Emerald opens the door, seeing that Phoenix has already retreated to the kitchen, and follows in the direction he would have gone. There's soft chatter, Esme's melodic voice flowing through the air to accompany the prominent smell of freshly baked goods.