Chapter I

Pete Maverick Mitchell. The name that would haunt Iceman for the whole time he was at Top Gun. Not that the owner was particularly bad or anything, just that he would not be able to shake the look he'd given him the first time they'd been introduced to each other by Maverick's RIO and Ice's friend, Goose in the O Club a few days ago.
When Goose had said "Tom, this is Pete Mitchell,", Iceman's whole world stopped. Prior to that moment, he'd been quite curious as to who the shorter dark haired pilot standing next to Goose was as he talked to Slider, but after, he could hardly think of anything other than "Congratulations on Top Gun," to say to him.
He had blinked at him when Ice had said that, but Ice didn't really think anything of it.
Why did this Maverick have to look at him like that?
Ice didn't know, but he wished he did.

In Jester's tutorial lesson on the Monday after they'd seen each other for the first time, Ice and Slider sat on a pair of desks in the middle left of the classroom. Maverick and Goose took the front right. Iceman was only half listening to Jester's speech, he knows he should be fully concentrating, but Jester's slow drawl at the end of the day really wasn't inspiring to keep listening too. It wasn't a 'I'm telling you this stuff then you'll be answering questions on it in a minute' thing either, so Ice didn't have to worry about that.
He sighs quietly, the classroom slightly too hot for it to be completely comfortable, and lets his eyes wander about the room and the students in front of him. One catches his attention.
Maverick. Sitting there with one leg higher than the other, his arm resting on his knee and his hand supporting his chin.
Effortlessly handsome.

He blinks and looks to the front again, tearing his eyes away from him.
Did I actually just think that? Did I say it outloud? What just happened?
Ice subtly checks around the class. Slider doesn't have a smirk on his face, and everyone else looks done with whatever Jester's been saying. Good. I didn't say anything out loud.
Without thinking, he looks back to Maverick, trying again to listen to what Jester's saying.
"All right that's it for today, class dismissed," He says just as Ice tunes in.
That went quickly. Not that he's complaining.
Ice stands up and again his gaze lingers on Maverick getting up and collecting his folders and putting on his aviators.
"Ice come on," Slider says.
"Coming-" he replies as he picks up his folder from the desk in front of him, unhooks his aviators from his pocket and puts them on, still half watching Maverick and Goose leave the room.

"You've fallen for someone, haven't you?"
"What?" Ice says, staring at his RIO, Slider, later that week.
"Could you be more obvious about it?"
Iceman looks at him blankly.
"Ice," Slider says. "It's Mitchell isn't it,"
"No,"
"Ohh yes it is,"
He turns his head away, annoyed that he was that easy to see right through.
"Haha!" Slider laughs triumphantly.
"Slider.."
"Ice come on man, you know it's true, you haven't seen the way you stare at him in class,"
That makes Ice whip his head back around. "What? I do not!"
"You do!"
"I do not stare at him,"
"You do, and I'm going to say so when you do it next time,"
"If you do that I'm leaving you on the ground," Ice says, his voice as cold as his name. "Anyway, he hasn't noticed,"
"How do you know?"
He frowns. "Because,"

"Because what? Goose says he has,"
"Goose?!"
"Yes, Goose, Maverick's RIO, you know, your friend who you gave his callsign, Mother Goose? Ringing any bells?"
"Shut up Slider. I know who Goose is," Ice huffs. "How do you know that Goose knows that?"
"We're friends aswell," Slider says, nudging Ice's arm. "He said,"
"Said what?"
"Ahem, 'I've noticed that Mav keeps staring at your pilot, is he aware of this?' Is what he said, roughly,"
Iceman puts his head in his hands and groans.
"Why are you upset about that? It means the feeling of whatever it is is mutual rather than unrequited,"
"I know!"
"..so why are you upset?" Slider asks.
"I don't know!"
"Alright, fine, I'll stop questioning you,"
He doesn't reply.
"I'm going to the O, wanna come with?"
"No," he says, still hiding in his hands.
"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," Slider says, shutting the door behind him.