Chapter IV

The next few weeks are beautiful, Maverick doesn't think anything could ever go wrong, he's shamelessly in love with Iceman, and he falls deeper in love every day. Yes, Maverick's flying verges on dangerous a lot of the time, Iceman thinks that it's just a part of him, and he just loves him for it, even though it fills him with dread when he does a move too risky for him to be comfortable with. The last thing Ice wants is to see Maverick or Goose getting hurt. That would be too awful to comprehend.

"Hey, Mav," Goose whispers to him.
"Yeah?"
"We were thinking of a volleyball game after class ends this evening, wanna join in?"
"We?"
"Me and Slider,"
"Why are you even asking?" Maverick says, smirking. "Course I'll come. Can't leave my wingman to battle against Slider and Ice,"
"Aw, thanks man," Goose says, smiling. "I wouldn't leave you to battle against them either,"
"Gentlemen can we leave the talking for a couple more minutes, please?" Jester says loudly, startling Maverick.
"Sorry sir," he says, smiling.
Jester shakes his head and continues reminding them all about the task they were instructed to finish for tomorrow morning. Maverick hadn't started it, of course. Even though they set it a week ago.
"So, make sure you remember it for first thing tomorrow," Jester says. "Class dismissed,"
Maverick stands up from the desk and puts his aviators on, glancing behind him at Ice, who side-smiles from under his.

"Have you finished it yet, Mitchell?" he asks as they walk out of the classroom and to the lockers.
"Finished what? Stealing your heart?" Maverick says, grinning.
Ice sighs, rolling his eyes. "Cute, but no. The paper that's for tomorrow,"
"I have,"
"No you haven't,"
"I know. I haven't even started it,"
"Maverick-" Ice says, exasperated.
He laughs.
"We were given a week! It took me two days!"
"Oh? Why? Is it on how to pull off dangerous moves in the air?"
"Oh my god, Mav," He pauses, checking behind them to see Goose and Slider engaged in a conversation with each other as they reach the lockers. "You seriously haven't started it?"
"Nope," Maverick says gleefully.
"You're giving me unneeded stress levels for a Thursday evening," Ice sighs.
"Mav gives me unneeded stress levels any day of the week," Goose chimes in.
"You know you love me then," Maverick says, opening his locker.
"Unfortunately, yes, I do,"

"I'd think then you wouldn't mind helping me after me and Goose beat you at volleyball,"
"You seem so sure of that," Slider says.
"It's because we will," Goose replies.
"Oh yeah? What's the bet?"
"Hmm..." Ice pauses. "Tomorrow night's first round,"
"Deal," Maverick says. "Be prepared to lose twenty dollars then Slide,"
"S-Slide?!" Slider says incredulously.
"Yeah, your nickname?"
Goose bursts out laughing, leaning on Maverick's shoulder to support himself.
"It's not that funny Goos-"
"Goosey," Ice whispers.
"Goosey," Slider confirms, unable to stop himself from smiling.
Maverick laughs at the use of his nickname for Goose coming from both Ice and now Slider.
Goose loudly fake gasps, frowning at the three of them. "That's such an unoriginal nickname," he says sarcastically.
"It's a nickname of your callsign," Ice says. "That in itself is shorter than what I initially made up,"
"What was that?" Maverick asks, curious about how he hadn't known.
"Mother Goose," Ice says, smiling.
"Awww, that works!" Maverick says, smiling at Goose, who facepalms.

Three hours later, they finished their final, final game, Goose half collapsed on the sand, Slider leaning on Ice, and Maverick still somehow almost full of energy.
"Woohoo! And that goes to Goose and I! You've lost yourself a twenty Slider!" Maverick cheers, jumping around on the sand.
"How.. the hell.. do you still have that much.. energy Mav-?" Ice asks, pausing for breaths.
"Who knows," Goose says, flopping backwards.
"It's my special talent, as you all should know by now," Maverick says, standing by Goose and offering him a hand.
"I'm dead Mav," Goose says.
"Fine, I'll sit," he says, sitting on the sand next to him.
"I gotta say though Ice there were some pretty good shots from them," Slider says, following Ice around to Maverick and Goose's side of the net.
"Mhm," Ice says, putting on his shirt that he left at the side, chucking Maverick's t-shirt at him to put on.
"Thanks," he says, pulling it over his head.