Chapter 6

Chapter Six:
Ronan

"Lord Amberore," I say respectfully, a single nod. "How kind of you to buy the fox from me," I scoop the coins that the butcher handed me into my pocket as my cousin lazily hands me four bags of coins. He smiles at me, passing two to the butcher.

"Prince Ronan," he says, the room starting to whisper. "A pleasant surprise. I thought you never left Monburn," he taunts. He nods to the bags in my hand. "Do you need to count that?" he asks. I throw the bags in various pockets in my jacket.

"I know where to find you if it's off," I tell him. I nod to the butcher. "Good day, sir," I tell him, turning and exiting the shop as quickly as I can. A few members of the crowd reach out to touch me as I pass. I resist the urge to sneer at them as they do.

The door to the shop closes behind me with another rattle. I fumble with the change in my pocket, my heart racing. "PRINCE RONAN!" he yells behind me, having jogged to meet me halfway out of the shop. I freeze as more and more people murmur about my presence in the village. He claps a hand on my back when he catches up to me. "We didn't get to finish our conversation back there." His eyes twinkle with delight.

"I thought we had," I say, turning to move past him. He steps in front of me.

"What are you doing way down here in the village?" he asks. "Isn't your tower up the hill and out of sight? Have you come down to torment the people who can't protect themselves from your violent urges?" The second part is louder, accusatory. It's all theater to him.

"Don't you belong somewhere else?" I ask him. "Shouldn't you be off wiping my brother's ass somewhere?" He tilts his head.

Lord Amberore, Cyrus, was a year between Kaine and I. He was my first cousin on my fathers side. Born after my father was blessed by the gods, he too was gifted with full Lycan lineage. There were some murmurs around the regions that his pureblood was a result of an affair my father had with my aunt when my mother was pregnant with Kaine.

Despite the rumors that Cyrus was my fathers bastard, Kaine became close with him, tossing me to the side as soon as they were introduced. I had always found Cyrus to be a pain. He followed Kaine around and did whatever he wanted, including tormenting me. It wasn't a surprise to any of us when Kaine and Cyrus came back from Underfield arm in arm. Kaine has announced proudly to all of us that Cyrus was to be Lord of Whitmont and his second in command.

Cyrus took the role all too seriously.

"You're funny. But we both know I play a far bigger role in the kingdom's wellbeing than you do." His voice is low and controlled but goosebumps trail up his neck and his jaw twitches. "Why haven't you been at court?" He changes the subject.

"It's not my thing," I reply. "I've never been interested in the affairs of my father." Cyrus scoffs.

"The affairs of your father are your affairs. You are one of his heirs and a ruler of this region. You owe it to your father to at least act as if you give a damn about the people of this kingdom." His voice is still loud, a crowd begins to gather around us. Everyone wants to catch a glimpse of the elusive Prince of Rothsledge that never takes a step outside his home if he can help it.

"You know very well I am not welcome in Grendon," I tell him quietly. "My father revoked my position long ago." I don't have to elaborate. He already knows. Everyone knows. He smirks again. I wish he would stop fucking smirking at me.

"I know that," he says. "It's just nice to hear you say it every once in a while. Shall we walk and get away from these prying ears?" He doesn't wait for me to reply before he places a hand on my back and leads me down the road.