01 || 𝑷𝑬𝑵𝑬𝑳𝑶𝑷𝑬

«𝑨𝒑𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒊𝒛𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈»

"No" Claude replied curtly

"Claude, please..." The woman sitting across from him pleaded.

"No, I won't change my mind so don't insist"

Penelope sighed and sank back into the couch. This whole discussion was really giving her a headache.

Why couldn't he understand?

Was he refusing on purpose to annoy her?

Get revenge on her for hurting him?

How childish and petty he is....

She couldn't stand her childishness any longer. She knew that her words the last time had hurt him a lot but she couldn't help it.

She was very aware of the young prince's feelings for her unfortunately she didn't love him that way. She loved Claude as her little brother, her best friend, her partner in crime...

But not as a lover.

A few weeks ago, that's exactly what she tried to explain to him but without success. He absolutely didn't want to hear anything.

And when she told him she wanted to break off their engagement, things got worse. He refused to talk to her for several days and even his brother couldn't reason with him.

Arranged marriages were common among the nobility but she didn't want that. She wants to be free to love whoever and to marry whoever she wants. We told him for a long time that it was not possible but we are talking about Penelope Judith. She always ends up getting what she wants.

After all, she still managed to earn the title of "Flower of the Society" at just 14 and she was now 20. She became a very influential young businesswoman throughout the empire. It is also thanks to her reputation that she found herself engaged to a prince. As they say, she was a victim of her own success.

But part of her also wanted to do this to protect Claude. She wants him to find love. A first heartache is always difficult but she knows that he will manage to overcome the pain and find a woman who will make him happy...or a man who knows.

...

Of course, the fact that she is in love with Anastacius also plays into the balance. Not that she's telling Claude anyway...

"Claude, be reasonable...I don't love you and I'm sure you don't want to be stuck for the rest of your life with a woman who doesn't love you."