Prologue

30.10.81

It was the hardest thing she had to do. The biggest decision in the world, but she knew no matter the outcome the choice she made was the right one. It was the only way to save her. To save Celeste Estella Black.

"Take her, Sirius please, it's the only way. He can't find her, you must promise me to protect her from him, she's the only hope we have. Promise me you'll look after my girl. He would have chosen you to be the one to raise her. You must."

"I promise you, I promise I'll keep her safe, I will love her like my own."

"Thank you, Sirius. You always were the bravest, the brightest star in your family of darkness."

31.10.82

All had gone quiet in Godric's Hollow, the green light came and left. Not even the cries of Harry could be heard in the eerie night. A man had entered that night, into the Potter's house, but no one left.

It was Severus who first arrived to that catastrophic sight, to the place his master had killed the only person he had ever loved. The girl who used to light up a room without realising, a girl with her nose constantly stuck in a book, whilst catching the attention of two boys. James Potter and Severus Snape, whether it was because they both were infatuated by Lily, or the fact they were snake and lion, the two boys would never see eye to eye. In the end she made her choice, but Severus was still completely and utterly taken by the girl. But in this house, only moments ago, Lily Evans was killed and now Severus cried whilst holding her in his arms. It was only when he heard others arrive that he fled the scene.

That same night, after hearing the events in Godric's Hollow, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were grieving, devastated by the loss of their best friend, James Potter. Even the young Black could sense the somber mood, and she didn't make a noise. Little Celeste didn't laugh nor cry, she just sat there watching.

People react very differently to death. There are those that cry, and there are those that seek revenge.

"Look after her for me Moony, if not for me, then for her mother."

"What do you mean? Padfoot, where are you going?"

But before there could be any answer or sign that Sirius had heard him, the door slammed, and the distant sound of a motorbike could be heard. It was only now that Remus remembered the little girl that was in his kitchen because only now did she choose to make her presence known, as soon as Sirius left the house, Celeste started to cry.

Remus Lupin didn't only lose one person that night he lost four. All the marauders were gone. James and Peter were both killed, Sirius was arrested for murder, and Remus lost himself. No longer having anyone but the little child wrapped in his arms, he felt scared and alone, once more, and now each full moon, he would have to go through it by himself, everyday he would have to deal with the burn in his heart. For Moony, was a monster without the Marauders. A lone wolf.

But he had one last task to fulfill. He was angry and betrayed by Sirius Black, but he couldn't take that out on Sirius' niece. He didn't want to listen to the last words of Sirius Black, and he certainly didn't want to make him happy. But he knew he had to, he had to help Celeste, for Remus loved her mother, more than he hated her uncle.

01.11.81

The Weasleys were not expecting a knock on their door in the early hours of November 1st, they had heard about the death of the Potters, in a couple of hours the whole Wizarding World had, all happy for the downfall of Voldemort, but all mourning the loss of the Potters, a family who were always loved by everyone around them.

So when they opened the door to see a crying Remus, they were even more surprised to see a child laying peacefully in his arms. They didn't know about his condition, the real reason he didn't want to be the one to raise her, they just assumed he didn't think he was capable or ready to raise a child, so they invited him in, and calmed him down.

The Weasleys were happy to take Celeste into their home and promised Remus he could come whenever he wanted to see her. But he never did. He couldn't face letting her in, worried he was going to harm her in some way. Or at least that's what he thought was the reason. The real reason Remus never came to visit Celeste Estella Black, was because every time he looked at her all he could see were the eyes he once loved, the eyes of a man who had betrayed him. Sirius Black had betrayed Remus, the Potters, Celeste, and her mother. He might have been sorted into Gryffindor, but really he was a snake deep down, he was just like the rest of his family.