𝟓𝟐. ✭ 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ✭

"And he hangs up on us. Again." Torey glowers at the laptop before slamming it shut.

It's become a recurring theme with Tristan so I really didn't think the action odd or something to put much weight on. Tristan and Torey can't stand each other, and that's putting it mildly. It was the way Dani had jumped to her feet after we'd made eye contact that has concern and unease filling my gut.

Guilt had riddled me throughout our entire conversation, exceptionally so when she'd zero'd in on my neck. Because I remember that initial feeling when Dani had gotten together with Torey. It fucking hurt. Until it turned into something else. But when they'd left me back in New York, to go into what they thought was witness protection together, the abandonment I'd felt was something I couldn't help.

The hurt look on her face before she abruptly left the conversation has me venturing to say she's dealing with similar feelings. Since I've met Dani, she's had this uncanny ability to fall into bouts of melancholy and depression, letting her thoughts consume her in an unhealthy manner. It's next to impossible for her to climb out of it herself. The only thing that pulled her out of it before was me, and, if anything, Daniela is a creature of habit. That puts Tristan in a very unique position, one of being her source of comfort, and that could turn into something else entirely. Just as it had for me and her.

"You're quiet," Torey's voice pulls me out of my head.

"So are you."

"Just ready to get this shit show on the road!" He stands up with a stretch of his back. "Ready to get my son back so I can finally be a father to him." That's an understatement. I know how much it truly irks Torey that Tristan is playing the part he should be. And I'm starting to realize it irks me just about as much that he's most likely playing my part in her life as well. "I am also ready to go full-fucking BTK killer on Dedaj." That has me letting out a little chuckle which has a brow of his arching. "Is something about that amusing?"

"That's my Harvey Watch name which, indeed, everyone always did find amusing."

"You named yourself after the BTK killer? A little dark, but I'm here for it."

"No, my parents did."

"Uh, I beg your fucking pardon. Why the fuck would they do that?"

I give him a roll of the eye, "Does is look like my name is Dennis Rader?"

"Hell, it could be. Wouldn't be the first time the name you're using isn't your real name."

"No, yah idiot, The Harvey Watch allows you entrance based off the initials of your birth-given name and the code number they assign you. Brooks Tucker Kuraly— BTK. Yah get it?"

"Are you trying to tell me this because you've got some crazy kink you'd like to explore? Some kind of rope fetish or something?"

"No. You're the one who brought him up, yah sadist."

"Speaking of that, I am exceptionally good at tying people up. Unless you're the one who wants to do the tying. Just to be honest, though, I don't think I'd be down for that. Yeah, no. I'd have to be the one to do the tying." Torey ponders for a moment, head going side to side. "I've never really been into the bondage thing in the bedroom. Like yeah, I'm dominant and everything, enjoy being the one in control. So... maybe it's something I could get into it? I mean, you know, if that's a thing that you're into." He gestures towards me in question but before I can even answer he starts back up. "Maybe we could give it a go? Try a little top bottom play? I'm not really sure about the weird bondage clothes though. That's like a whole fucking lifestyle, right? All that leather and pleather. I like designer suits too much."