The Fireworks and the Spark

What's a New Year's kiss? Like all traditions, it can slightly alter over time. In today's time, the New Year's kiss has become a must-do in the United States. Sure, this isn't today's time, but a person can dream.

~'*'~

Exer pumped a fist into the air as he set down his last Uno card. David groaned and crumpled the 2 cards he had left as Brenda laughed at him.

"That's the third time you won in a row, are you sure you're not cheating?" Pamela eyed him skeptically, but it was clear it was all in good fun. "I dunno, maybe I'm just actually good at the game," Exer laughed and gathered up the cards. "I'm bored, let's play something else."

"Ooooh, is it almost time for fireworks?" Brenda suggested. "Yeah, I wanna see the fireworks," David agreed. Pamela only nodded. "Hey, do you have anything to eat?" She asked suddenly.

Exer only smiled in response before getting out a small bag and passing out alfajores. "Ron gave me some to make up for his absence," he said, "I think it's about time for fireworks."

He looked over to the clock on the wall. 11:18.

~'*'~

The three sat down in the backyard, laughing and talking as Exer lit the firecracker and sprinted to join them.

Soon, you could hear loud cracks and pops and the bursts of red light seemed to fly through the air. It almost reminded him of that night, but- No. It was better to think of this as a fresh start. A new year, a new decade. The 90's.

Exer watched in awe as the fireworks illuminated the backyard, and he turned to see David staring at him. He stared in awe as the light illuminated his features, somehow making him prettier than before. Exer blushed, going to check the time just as his alarm for midnight went off.

"Happy New Year!" Exer said before pecking David on the cheek quickly. He pulled away, staring at David's shocked expression. Was he blushing? Was that okay?

"What-" David started, but before he could process what had happened, Exer got up and speed walked inside, not stopping to hear David call out to him. What was that? Why'd you do that? You don't like him. You don't even like guys.

David looked to see Pamela and Brenda blushing and smiling at eachother. Knowing they're in their own world, he got up to follow Exer inside. "Wait- Wait up! Exer, It's okay!" He called to him, with no response.

Inside he saw Exer sitting on the couch, hands in his lap. He looked like a kid who had been scolded. David sat next to him and stared at his face awkwardly. Wait, does the kiss mean he likes me?

Maybe He was crazy, or stupid, or maybe he was just really hopeful, but he suddenly had a boost of confidence and kissed Exer on the cheek softly. He pulled away and laughed at Exer's shocked expression and faint blush. "Happy New years."

Just then, Pamela and Brenda came inside together, giggling a bit. In an instant, the two put a gap between themselves, though there was nothing they could do to hide their obvious blush. Luckily, the two girls seemed too wrapped up in their own heads to notice anything. The group sat in silence before David suggested they watch a movie.

And if David and Exer purposefully moved closer so their shoulders were touching, no one needs to know that.