one

"That's him, Japan's next ace," somebody murmured as another team stepped into the hall for the Second Selection. It was followed by a round of whispers that peaked Yoichi's interest greatly.

He stared harder, eyes wandering in search of the boy in question. Then he spotted him— the brunette boy standing behind Itoshi Rin.

KANTO REGION MONSTER

JAPAN'S UPCOMING ACE

- TWO FACED DICTATOR [l/n] [y/n] -

Yoichi froze when the brunette met his eyes, the stare freezing cold even as a smile stayed plastered on his face with sickened sweetness.

Then it disappeared, replaced by warmth as [y/n] greeted the other teams with a wave.

Next to him, Baruchi seemed delighted. His eyes glint dangerously under the ceiling light as he licked his lips in anticipation.

"That's the monster I've been waiting for."

[ let the world take me on, i won't lose ]

"[l/n]-kun, please comment on your win. Do you think you will be able to win the nationals? Your next match might get you entry to Japan's U-20 team!"

[y/n] smiled brightly, his eyes curving along with it. The reporter looked much relaxed and enthusiastic at his expression, edging closer to get an exclusive interview with the ace.

"I will do my best in nationals and hopefully bring a win home for my team."

The reporters seemed charmed and excited by his reply.

[y/n]'s coach ushered him away from the crowd of reporters just in time as the exhaustion was starting to catch up. He gave a last wave at the crowd, blinding them with his winning smile before he disappeared backstage.

"You did well," his coach patted him on the back.

"Well, it couldn't have happened without your guidance, sir."

It gained him a bellowing laugh from the elder.

"You're truly magnificent, [y/n]. I will do my best to gain you entry for Japan's national team." His grin sharpened. "Meanwhile, train hard."

"Yes, sir," he replied steadily and waited patiently as his coach gave a last look and disappeared into the backroom, presumably to meet the rest of his teammates.

[y/n] dropped his smile and frowned.

"Money grubbing shitheads," he grumbled. "They are all so predictable."

He sighed and leaned his head against the wall, staring up at the ceiling in disappointment.

Nationals will be boring, if prefectures felt like sleeping. [y/n] was simply buying time to fly off to Brazil to continue his career after high school. Japan wasn't the best place for such a sport after all.

There was already a top team gunning for his ability in Brazil. All he needed was a signed off and agreement from his guardian.