Chapter 1: The Witch of Salem returns to Jericho

See the author's notes at the end.

After recently graduating from high school, Y/N decided to enroll herself once more at a different college. She packed enough clothing to fill two suitcases. Although it was heavy, she was able to handle it just fine.

She waited for the train to reach Jericho as her golden eyes loomed over the changing landscape. She was overcome with anxiety; it had been a while since she had been here. Y/N knew the history behind this place and was acquainted with a certain outcast. She also had a meeting with the founding father, and Y/N found it annoying to think about him because of how hypocritical he was.

It has been over 3 centuries since Y/N have been doing this - traveling, enrolling at a school, laying low, enjoying the journey, graduating, disappearing, and repeat. She was compelled to do it despite the inconvenience. Y/N's family was all hanged centuries ago due to the fact that her entire bloodline was made up of witches.

Her mother's advice to blend in, however, is the only reason she was spared. She is the only person to have attained the level of magik proficiency known as glamor (invisibility) at such a young age, which was initially a cute little trick. She would frequently engage in it for enjoyment alone, and it eventually helped her escape. She saw her mother, aunt, and older sisters struggle to breathe as the noose around their necks strangled them further the more they wrestled against it.

Legs hanging over, slowly deteriorating to death. Y/N couldn't do anything to save them, she didn't know enough of her magik. At the age of 17, she became an orphan and managed to escape with nothing more than the last vestige of her dignity. Despite not knowing where she was going, Y/N fled. She only let her own legs bring her to another settlement.

She hid, changed names, and blended in with the civilians. The first 40 years alone was hard, but she thrived. She read every book about witchcraft she could find, practiced constantly, and developed her magik as a result. She has since used this magik to rise to the rank of a highly regarded maester.

People have been visiting her cabin for healing, and there was healing there. Before the entire coven died, they taught witches, especially Y/N, who demonstrated talent unlike any other witch when she was a child. The coven mother thought Y/N was blessed by Hecate. All of it helped her on the path to maturity as a witch. In addition, she picked up some spells and curses. She gained witchcraft proficiency as a result of everything. Perhaps even a powerful witch.

No one questioned Y/N's abilities because, after all, she was the maester and they needed her to cure even the most incurable illnesses that afflicted that time period. Although she did use the dark arts, it was supposed to be kept a secret. However, one evening, men forced their way into her cabin and accused her of doing so.

While Y/N did not practice her magik in front of others or while tending to her patients, they were aware of one thing: Y/N has never aged. She moved to their village 40 years ago, and during that time, neither a wrinkle nor a strand of white hair appeared on her forehead. Witches are not invulnerable, but Y/N never once pondered this as to why she never aged. She must have received a blessing from the goddess Hecate for this.

The furious men in Y/N's home are upset that they might have fallen victim to her enchantment and that one day she might sacrifice them for the heinous acts they assumed a witch would engage in. In order to purge themselves of the evil that resides among them, they demanded to hang her and then burn her. It was happening again; it brought back the most unpleasant of memories. Similar to when uninformed bystanders hanged her family, rage now controls Y/N's senses.

"You ignorant, selfish fools! I healed the diseases that were about to kill your wives and daughters, and this is how I get repaid? Death?" Y/N began, and the men threatening her with pitchforks and torches showed signs of fear in their eyes.