one

1951 New York City

"I'm telling you James, I insist you come." Bryce practically pleaded, "The show is marvelous, and the ticket is on me. You won't have to pay a dime." He continued while checking the purchased items in his bag.

"I won't make it, alright?" James demurred, dragging his feet to the exit door before stopping in his tracks to look at an upset Bryce. He purses his lips with the realization of his unnecessary anger and continues to drag his feet along. "I just, I don't feel like seeing a play right after I failed to get a part from another. I'll end up leaving anyways, use the ticket for someone else." he further explained.

They walked out of the diner carrying on the same conversation they've been having all week. Bryce had been asking James to see Gigi, a new Broadway play his cousin had invited him to see the previous month. Ever since he left the theater he hadn't shut up about it.

James met Bryce in an acting class he stumbled upon in college, very aware of his love for Broadway shows after their first conversation. The pair are both twenty year olds who moved to NYC in an effort to find meaning in their lives through creative expression. Since their meeting, they have grown closer and are always seen rushing to auditions together. As soon as Bryce found out the show was playing for a while he was determined he would get James to see it. After all, the show would be in NYC for quite a long time.

"You're not the only one who was rejected, it wasn't even that big of a part. We were too good, they needed amateurs." he huffed, wiping off imaginary dirt of his shoulders, although it was far from obvious they were the opposite of experts. He had to find a way to cheer him up somehow. Anytime Jimmy was rejected for a role he would mope around all blue for days. Which Bryce would spend his time trying to get him back to himself in time for their next audition.

"Have you been telling yourself that long enough to believe it?" he replied, stopping at the corner of the busy street and swiftly looking both ways before crossing. Bryce mocked a laugh as he followed him with a lack of patience. He then glared down at his watch and sighed.

"Look I have to go Jimmy, but I'm saving a seat for you tomorrow so you better be there." He points a stern finger to him before turning around and jogging in the opposite direction as James just shakes his head, feeling stubborn. He had a long and stressful week, once again. All he'd gotten in his whole acting career were a few college plays and a men's clothing commercial. He felt like really giving up sometimes, then there would be moments that would completely change his view of it, although he slowly started to think his uncle was right.

When he was happy he told himself he was being saved for a better opportunity, whether it was coming soon or not so soon. He felt hopeful about this year, even though it was already October.

James strolled the sidewalks for a few hours, he liked to do this to clear his mind. He found staying in his apartment all the time wasn't healthy for his mental state. He decided he out to go somewhere before his thinking put himself into a worse mood. He walked very stiff with his hands shoved in his jacket pockets and glasses balancing on the tip of his nose. Every so often earning a smile from a pretty lady.

James always received attention from women, whether he meant to or not. He was growing tired of sleeping with strangers though, he felt alone, even when they stayed in his arms he couldn't help but feel it was insincere. He wanted the kind of love you see in movies, he knew it was a movie love for a reason, but he felt very confident in finding someone to love that much. It was hard to even just imagine having a relationship with all of the time he devotes to starting a career in acting, but hell, if the opportunity struck for love, he'd be damned not to take it.