Memories

Loki gently shook me away as the pilot announced that the plane was going to be arriving in Paris in 20 minutes. 
"Darling, We here," Loki cupped my face, Kissing my forehead. I didn't want to wake up. I was way too comfy. I tried to hide my face in Loki's jacket but Loki sat up so I was no longer comfy.
"How are you so comfy to sleep on?" I sat up, rubbing my eyes. Loki had one hand on my back and one hand on my thigh. I know I have asked this before but I am still so baffled.
"I have no idea," Loki smiled as I sighed as I hopped off his lap. As the plane begins to descend into Paris, I turn to Loki. 
"So, how are we doing this? Will we go straight to your friend?" I yawned. I really need to catch up on some sleep. Jet lag is going to be a real pain soon. 
"Unfortunately, getting to Sylvie will be a bit tricky, so we will have to secure a location and have her come to us," Loki shuffled around in his seat.
"Why?"
"The vampire situation in Europe is... how to put it... quite different from the one in America,"
"What do you mean?" Thor yawned.
"For as long as there have been vampires in Europe, there have been those who have hunted them down. They call themselves The Black Order," Loki brought his hand up to his mouth and picked at his lip. So I slapped his hand away, resulting in Loki frowning at me "They are a secret society, of sorts. Very elite. Very fanatical. Very ruthless,"
"They do not sound pleasant," I shivered.
"Even calling them unpleasant would be one hell of an understatement," Loki rolled his eyes. The pilot asked if we could strap ourselves into our seats.
"You said the order has been around since vampires came into existence,"
"The order is thousands of years old, with roots in ancient Greece" Loki leans back and sighs, gazing out of the window "They have gone by many names... The Knights of Light, the Holy Brotherhood and now, The Black Order,"
"Sounds religious," I scoffed. Loki nodded.
"It is, in a sense. They have an intense devotion to the concept of the light," Loki mocked.
"And they hate us because we represent the dark," Thor clenched his fists.
"Exactly. They've spread throughout most of Europe, Though they are mostly concentrated in France and England,"
"How the hell have they managed to keep this bullshit organization for so long?" I leaned forward, placing my arms on the table in front of me.
"As I said, they are fanatics. Their drive to eradicate vampires eclipses everything else," Loki twirled a finger around the side of his head.
"How do the nutjobs function? If they are a secret society, how exactly does that work?"
"They are a secret to the public, but not to vampires and those who know about us," Loki explained, I rolled my eyes but Loki cupped my chin "Emily, I am not talking about surly men with stakes driving around in an Impala. The Black Order is well-funded and deeply influential in both finance and politics. Even more so than the council ever was,"
"So it's funded by wealthy donors. I guess that makes sense,"
"And that funding has helped them grow from just a small guild to an army of vampire hunters," Thor placed his clenched hands on his lap. I knew he wanted to find these hunters and kill them.
"If they are supposed to remain out of the public eye, how can they just murder vampires left and right?"
"They are incredibly tactical. They will usually scout out a den or an individual, before moving in,"
"Let me guess, They know all the tricks?" Thor grumbled. Loki nodded.
"And then some. Stakes, beheading, fire... They know what it takes to keep us down. They move with military precision and are backed up by the latest technology,"
"I wonder if SHIELD knows of them?" I played with the hem of my jacket.
"Most likely. SWORD too,"
"And then that means that the other nobheads of the world know about them," I pinch my nose.
"Other nobheads?" Thor looks at me.
"HYDRA," I mumbled.
"Ain't they the twats that were behind the man with the metal arm?" Thor questioned. Both Loki and I nodded. Thor let out a whistle.
"The Black Order are some of the world's most elite and efficient killers. I wouldn't put it past them that HYDRA was funding them as well. And their sole mission is the eradication of our kind,"
"And I thought America was bad," Thor muttered. I nodded in agreement.
"The Black Order is feared by vampires throughout the world. They nearly wiped out our bloodline several times," Loki's fingers drummed on the table. He does that when he is worried "That's why Odin and the others immigrated,"
"Why his shadow kingdom in America was so important,"
"It provided us with a safe haven from the Black Order. They can't touch us there. Vampires became part of the elite, instead of staying in hiding,"
"So you mean that vampires in Europe can't live as you and others do in America?"
"Not at all. They have to keep moving and keep on changing their identities. They have to stay hidden. If they don't... It's only a matter of time until the Order gets them,"
"That is awful," I felt bad for the vampires outside of America. How do they cope with the consistent fear of the Black Order?
"Who runs this bunch of elite monsters?"
"The current head is a man named Thanos... something, who inherited the position from his father. We don't know much about him, besides the fact that he is incredibly wealthy and a true believer in the Order's cause,"
"Another eccentric billionaire, great," I pressed my fingertips into the side of my head "I've had enough of them to last a lifetime," Loki shot me a smirk so I poked my tongue out at him "You're not as nutty as those two,"
"Compared to Thanos, Tivan was a saint. At least he kept us alive," Loki sighed, once again looking out the window "Thanos will kill us all before we even have a chance to beg,"
"Figures. No matter where I go, I'm unwanted," Thor turns away and the plane makes a smooth landing.
"We have officially arrived in Paris," I grabbed my phone off the table "Not quite how I imagined my first trip to Paris but it's still Paris, right?"

Outside the airport, we hopped into a taxi and headed into the city. I longingly stare out the window, hoping to see some sights. There was much to see as it was pitch black out and we were surrounded by tall buildings.
"Hey," Loki tapped my cheek. I turned to look at him "You okay?"
"Yeah. Was just hoping to see something other than a building,"
"You will," Loki whispered in my ear. At least, that's what I thought he said.

We pull up outside a nondescript apartment building. Loki leads us up to an apartment on the third floor.
"I've rented this out for a few days. If we need to stay longer, That won't be a problem," Loki placed the bags on the floor and then told me to go look out the window. Confused, I did so. Not noticing the smirk on Loki's face. I pull the curtains apart and my jaw drops.
"Is that?" I stuttered.
"It is," Loki spoke. I covered my mouth as I squealed. I looked behind me and saw that both Thor and Loki were smiling at my reaction.
"I know we're not here to have a good time, but this amazing, Loki!"
"I figured since it is your first time in Paris, I should try and make it a little fun,"
"Even if that was cute," Thor waved his hand at me, and he looked annoyed now "It is a waste of money if you ask me. If this order is as ruthless as you say, We should be somewhere more low-key," Thor looked out the apartment's window, closing the blinds so no one could look in. I frowned at him. I was enjoying looking out at Paris.
"Trust me, They won't look for vampires in nice apartment buildings. Not in Paris," Loki sat on the sofa.
"How can you be so sure?"
"Not my first time in Europe,"

While Thor continues to grumble, I scope out the apartment. There are two rooms, and both have equally huge soft-looking beds. One bathroom with a huge bathtub. Loki shouts that I should pick a room as he is going to be a while dealing with Thor. I nip back into the main room, grab my bag and go into the room on the left. I dumped my bag on the bed and snooped around in the closets. Hanging on the rails was a low-cut green tunic top and a black denim skirt. it seems that someone must have left behind. It doesn't look like it has been ever worn.
"This is beautiful. I'd love to walk through Paris wearing something like this," I quickly change into the outfit. The top was soft and comfy. I quickly fluffed my hair "I feel way more human now,"

I walked back into the main room. Loki and Thor do a double take.
"Emily," Loki's jaw dropped as he rose to his feet "You look beautiful,"
"Yeah, you look amazing," Thor did a small clap.
"You think so," I do a little twirl.
"Like a true Parisian socialite," Loki vamps to my side. I smile as I tuck my hair behind my ear "And green definitely suits you,"

A minute later, we hear a soft knock on the door of the apartment. Thor reaches for his sword but Loki gestures for him to stand down as he opens the door. The massive grin on his face shows me the person is friendly.
"That was quick. Here I was expecting a more dramatic entrance," A beautiful woman strides into the apartment with a mischievous smile.
"And keep Loki Odinson waiting? I wouldn't dream of it," Loki and the woman kiss each other on both cheeks. Thor raises an eyebrow as he looks at me. I shrug.
"Emily, Thor, This is Sylvie. Sylvie, These are the friends I mentioned," Loki pointed to each of us. Not going to lie, I didn't the word friend. I thought I was more than that.
"Of course. So lovely to meet you," Sylvie bowed her head.
"Sylvie is quite possibly one the most interesting vampires who have ever lived. She's been a pirate, An assassin. An adventurer and, briefly, a Queen," Loki bragged. I felt a little ball of jealousy.
"Yes, I have gone by many names and had many adventures but I want to focus on the new," Sylvie bustles up to me and kisses me on both cheeks. I lean away. I can't help it. My American instincts took over.
"I'm so sorry, I--" I apologized once I realized what I did. I probably offended Sylvie with my rudeness. the jealousy was soon replaced with fear. Sylvie laughs.
"You Americans and your stiffness! Relax, I always get a kick out of it," Sylvie patted my arm. When Sylvie turns to Thor, He aggressively holds out a hand. Sylvie laughs again and humours him by shaking his hand "It's a pleasure to meet you, Emily and Thor. Any friend of Lok's is a friend of mine,"
"How do you two know each other?" I ask. Why did I ask that? I spot Loki in the corner of my eye. His gaze drifts away, and he shifts on his feet in discomfort. Sylvie notices this as well and rolls her eyes.
"I lived in New Orleans for a few years in the 1800s and there I met Loki. At that time, he was an ex-soldier in need of something to do. I offered him some employment and some... companionship," She laughs at her own joke while Loki blushes behind her. Thor snorts.
"Oh! So you and Loki..." I hooked my fingers together.
"Oui. For a bit. C'etait bref,"
"English?" Thor leaned in to ask me. I tell him it means it was brief. Thor nodded. I sidle closer to Loki, twinning my arm through his and taking his hand. I lean against his shoulder with a smile.
"It must seem like such a long time ago now. That's probably why Loki never mentioned you before," Oh god, I have turned into one of those girls who feel the need to lay a claim on their man. Sylvie throws her head back and lets out a throaty, melodic laugh.
"Indeed it was my friend," Sylvie nods before she leans closer to me "Don't worry, I hear what you are saying loud and clear," Sylvie winks at me, her eyes sparkling. Loki squeezes my hand and clears his throat.
"Right, Let's just focus on the task at hand. We've come to ask you for a favour," Loki sighed.
"I'm listening," Sylvie tilted her head.
"Your powers are very similar to another vampire by the name Tyr,"
"I know him. Mostly by reputation," Sylvie nods, crossing her arms.
"We were hoping that you could use your powers to help us extract the memories we need from here," I tapped my head.
"C'est possible... but it takes time to do what you are talking about. A psychic's ability is like a finely-tuned instrument," Sylvie turned her head to me "In order to reach into your mind, I'll need to spend some alone time with you,"
"Alone?" I gulped.
"Bonding will help our psychic connection be that much stronger. Don't worry. I don't bite," Sylvie assured me.
"What would like us to do, Sylvie?" Loki let go of my hand.
"You and big tough sword boy here, go talk a walk. Get into trouble, drink. Do whatever but leave us ladies alone," Sylvie pointed to the door.
"Big tough sword guy?" Thor points to himself. Sylvie nodded.
"We are on it," Loki signals to Thor, who hesitates. He reaches into his pocket and pulls something out, pressing it into my hand.
"Just in case," Thor whispered in my ear. With a suspicious glance at Sylvie, Thor follows Loki out of the door. I could hear him complaining that this was a bad idea. Loki told him to shut up and that I can handle myself. I then wanted to die when Thor asked how Loki felt about how his ex-girlfriend and current girlfriend were going to spend time together. I swear I heard Loki growl and a loud bang.
"And they are worried about you? Think we should worry about them two together,"

As soon as I knew the boys were out of earshot, I looked down at my hand and saw that Thor had given me a switchblade. I promptly drop on the coffee table.
"Sorry about him. He has a tendency to be kind of... over-cautious," I apologized. Again.
"It's natural. Thor is protective of you," Sylvie waves a hand as she heads into the small kitchen "Never mind that, I'm interested in you. Let's talk. Vampire to mortal. Psychic to Bloodkeeper,"
"You know about that?" I looked out the window. I swear I could see Thor on top of a building. But he wouldn't be that stupid, would he?
"Loki mentioned that you hold vampiric memories and there is only one myth that fits that description,"
"Do you know any more? Like... Why I am the way I am?" I move away from the window and head to the sofa.
"I'm afraid not. However, once we begin the process, I'm sure I'll learn more,"

As I take a seat on the sofa, Sylvie emerges with a bottle of wine and two glasses.
"I do love it when Loki comes to town. He always chooses the nicest places," As she pours the wine, I examine her more closely. Her clothes are plain. Her hands were rough "I assume that Loki has told you about how we European vampires live?"
"Yes. And I am sorry to hear it. You all should be able to love openly, without fear," Realizing how close I was to sounding like Odin, I let out a shiver. I mean, I get the idea behind Odin's horseshit scheme, just not eradicate all humans. Vampires have a right to live free as well as humans. We all breathe the same air. Sylvie sits beside me with a sigh.
"One of these days, the Black Order will get what's coming to them. In the meantime, survival is all we can do," She clinks our glasses together and I take a small sip. The wine is refreshing and smooth on my tongue.
"So how does this bonding thing work?"
"It's not a spell or a ritual," Sylvie takes her shoes off her shoes and curls up on the sofa "It is merely us, talking and becoming friends,"
"Oh... I see," I've grown up around too many witches. I assume everything is based on a spell. I blame my grandmother. I turn the wine glass in my hands, wondering what to ask her "So, How did you meet Loki?" She leans back with a smile, bringing a glass to her lips.
"It was a couple of years after the civil war had ended. The South was a mess. Everywhere was, honestly," Sylvie stared at her drink before taking a sip "I was in a tavern in New Orleans and as soon as I saw him, I knew what he was. I 'accidentally' spilled my drink on him, and offered to help wash it out. It didn't take long after that,"
"Smooth," I chuckled once. Melody would like this woman "What was living in New Orleans like?"
"It was hot and sticky but the food was always a treat. But then I met Loki when he came to the city looking for vampires,"
"Why was he doing that?"
"Following his master's orders," Sylvie rolled her eyes as she said 'master'. She took a quick sip of her wine "I didn't want anything to do with Odin, not after how things ended with us in the 1500s, but I took quite a liking to Loki. Who wouldn't?"
"Hmm,"
"We spent some time together, Wild nights of feeding, dancing and listening to musicians under the stars. But eventually, I decided to return home. I knew I had to help the others like me, who live in fear of the Black Order,"
"So you parted on good terms," I asked as Sylvie downed the last of her wine.
"Of course. What we had, wasn't serious. and both had our eyes set on different goals," Sylvie put her glass down "Loki is a dreamer. An idealist. It's the most charming thing about him but I am far too much of a cynic to stay smitten with that. But anyway, enough about that. Tell me about you and Loki,"
"What about us?" I nearly choked on my wine when Sylvie asked this.
"What is your relationship with him?" Sylvie asked, leaning forward to pour more wine into her glass.
"If I get what you are implying, I want to say that we are together but we are not that way," I cleared my throat. I wasn't sure. Loki said we would talk when this Odin thing was done with but what if it is never done with?
"I figured as much. I see the way he looks at you," I can't help the sheepish smile that spreads across my face, Sylvie laughs good-naturedly "Loki has always been a true romantic at heart. I am not surprised that he chose you,"
"Somehow you don't sound too happy, though," Sylvie bites her lower lip as she swirls the wine in her glass.
"Emily, you seem like a lovely person and I don't want you to get hurt,"
"What do you mean?" I frowned.
"in my 700 years of being a vampire, I have seen a lot of partnerships like yours and Loki's. Mortals getting close to vampires. It... It never ends well,"
"And you think that my relationship with Loki will end up the same way?" I bit the inside of my cheek. Sylvie sighs and shrugs.
"It's not about you and him. It's just... this world we live in. There's beauty and joy but all too often, There's only pain and sadness,"
"That's grim,"
"Who is to say what the future will hold? I only wanted to say my piece,"
"I believe my future is what I will make of it. And I intended to make it a good one," I smile at Sylvie and we clink our glasses together.
"An optimist, then. Just like Loki,"

As the two of us talk some more, I feel myself starting to relax. The wine seems to have helped and oddly enough, Sylive's voice is soothing. After laughing at one of her jokes, I see Sylvie reaching out to touch me. I lean a little away.
"May I?" She asks me softly. I nod. Sylvie gently places her fingertips on the side of my head and closes her eyes.

The apartment fades around me, dissolving in a confusion of colours and senses. I drift in the darkness, letting my thoughts wander freely. The darkness swirls around me, and Sylvie's presence keeps me calm. A memory floats to the surface of my mind. It's familiar.
"I've seen that before," Before me is a cavern containing a tomb and a large bone-white tree. I see a hooded figure hunched over the strange-looking book. The book looks ancient, the leather pale and patched together as if it's been wrapped in human skin. The figure holds a large red gem above it, using its light prism to read it.

I gradually rise out of the memory, taking a gasp of air as if I were emerging from the water.
"Remarkable," Sylvie grinned. I didn't have a headache. Nothing hurt.
"That was so cool! The way you were able to navigate my mind so easily. It was awesome!" I beamed. Sylvie seemed to be pleasantly surprised.
"I'm glad you think so. It helps to have such a keen mind as yours," The apartment door swings open, and Thor and Loki walk in.

"How is it going?" Loki asked as I shot to my feet and hugged him.
"I believe I saw something that will be of some help to you," Sylvie smiled.
"You did? All I saw were some images that didn't make sense," I looked confused.
"On the contrary. Those images showed me a map to the Tomb of the First,"
"Hell yeah!" Thor clapped "where is it?"
"It's not that simple. I couldn't get a clear look at that map in the past. which means we will have to recover it in the present," Sylvie placed her glass down and stood up "Emily's memory showed me a gem and a tome. To get the map, you will have to recover both,"
"This sounds like one of Melody's video games," I muttered in Loki's ear.
"I wish it was as lighthearted as that. There are quite a few vampire relics tied to the Tomb. Finding them will be no easy task" Loki let out a heavy sigh.
"Of course, Mr Doom and Gloom had to weigh in," Sylvie playfully slapped Loki's arm.
"Be grateful that I ain't Doctor Doom and I don't wear a metal mask. Reed Richards would have a field day with that," Loki folded his arms.
"Were you born this uptight, Loki?" Loki blinks in consternation while Thor throws his head back and laughs.
"Oh man, I'm really glad you are part of this team now," Thor claps.
"Me too. I am more than happy to research these items for you," Sylvie grins.
"We would really appreciate it, Sylvie," Loki held my hand.
"In the meantime, why not go out and enjoy the city?"
"Are you sure? Is it safe?"
"For you, yes. So long as you don't attract attention," Sylvie finishes her wine and stands up "I will be off then. Don't get into much trouble, my loves. Au revoir,"

Apart from Thor, Loki and I kissed Sylvie on the cheeks. Once she is gone, Loki smiles down at me.
"We finally have an opportunity for sightseeing, what do you say, Emily? Want to explore Paris?"
"Yes! I have always wanted to visit the Louvre," I jumped up and down on the spot, grinning. Thor went and sat down.
"Thor, up for seeing some fine art?" Loki smiled.
"If I have to," Thor stood up, groaning. Loki smiled, obviously enjoying Thor's discomfort. I shake my head. Anyone would think these two are brothers. Maybe in the multiverse, they were brothers. I feel sorry for their parents.
"Great! Then let's get going,"

As soon as we pass the glass pyramid of the Louvre and go down to the collection, I clasp my hands together in excitement.
"Oh my gosh! I am really here!" I squealed in excitement. I do not care that I like an absolute tourist. I'm happy.
"It is definitely something," Loki beamed at me. He had a strange look on his face.
"I mean, yeah. it's fine, I guess. If you like old dead white people" Thor shrugged.
"Don't you dare ruin this for me or you can wait outside," I sighed at his lack of enthusiasm, I turned to Loki, who was grinning at me "What?"
"Nothing. I'm just happy that you are happy,"

Loki buys the three of us admission tickets and I go off exploring. I make a point to visit the Mona Lisa first.
"See? Isn't it great?" I sighed with happiness.
"I thought it would be bigger," Thor tilted his head at the painting.
"Bigger isn't always better, Thor," I rolled my eyes. Why do men judge everything by size?
"I mean... It is sometimes," Thor stuttered. He tried to get Loki to agree with him but Loki said he was staying out of it "Traitor,"
"Da Vinci always was ahead of his time. Which is odd given that he was turned in the 1200s," Loki scratched his ear.
"Really?" Thor's jaw dropped.
"Hold up, Da Vinci was a vampire?" I frowned, tilting my head.
"Still is. He lives just down the block. Want to meet him?" Loki pointed to the entrance. Thor and I stare at Loki.
"... You have to be pulling our leg," Thor narrowed his eyes at Loki, who was resisting the urge to burst out laughing. Thor grumbled and walked away.
"I am. But I got you good, didn't I?" Loki chuckled.
"You are ridiculous," I rolled my eyes. Partially annoyed that I fell for the joke but I was also quite impressed that Loki tricked us. Maybe in another life, he was The God of Mischief. His childish nature often suggests that he was quite the prankster as a child. (when he allows himself to be childish that is)
"What else would you like to see, Emily?" Loki licked his lips as he calmed down.
"The statues,"

I happily make my way through the Louvre, Often stopping and pointing out things that pique my interest. On the way up via a flight of stairs, I stop and gasp.
"Is that?"
"Winged Victory of Samothrace? The one and only," I gape up at it, the statue winged and headless. The details on the marble take my breath away.
"It's exquisite," Loki nodded. We had to stop at Thor was still at the bottom of the stairs.
"So what does the statue represent?" Thor pointed to the statue.
"It's up for speculation but believe it was to honour a sea battle. And to honour the goddess, Nike, of course,"
"Let's hope this is a sign of things to come," I whispered to myself. Loki hummed in agreement.

The three of us head to the next section. Thor and Loki are on either side of me. I take Loki's hand in mine. He glances at me with a small smile. I grin back, Enjoying the warmth of his skin against mine.

We spend a couple more hours in the museum and I happily gaze upon the works of Michelangelo and Da Vinci. Thor had wandered off to another part of the museum hall. Loki was by another painting.
"Ooh," I whispered as one painting in particular caught my eye. I wander towards it and read its plaque, bending at the waist "The Intervention of the Sabine Women,"
"What exactly is going on in this?" Thor asked once he caught us up.
"It's a depiction of the fighting between Roman and Sabine fighters. You know the founding myth of Rome?"
"If I say yes, are you going to skip to the bit about this crap?" Thor groaned. Loki raised an eyebrow at Thor.
"Did you not go to school?"
"I'm afraid fell asleep," Thor sighed. Both Loki and I crossed our arms "No, I don't remember it. It was well over 80 years ago that I was last in a history class,"
"It was said that Rome was founded by two brothers, Romulus and Remus. Remus was killed, but Romulus continued on as Rome's leader," I pointed over to a painting of a wolf feeding two young children.
"It was a city that took in the undesirable people of society. Mostly men. Which, of course, led to a significant lack of women," Loki sighed, letting his arms drop to his side. I stared at the floor.
"Sounds like a horror story" Thor frowned. I nodded. History has always been full of horror stories. And history always repeats itself.
"It was. They got so desperate that they took unmarried Sabine women to a festival,"
"Oh god," I covered my mouth. I hadn't heard this part yet. School left it out. They always leave out the good bits.
"One of the women, Hersilia, ended up marrying Romulus," Loki points to a woman in the centre of the fighting, her arms outstretched to either side. There were small figures by her side "When her father came to fight Romulus, Hersilia and her childer ran between them to try and put a stop to the fighting," Loki then points to the depiction of a cliff in the background "That's the Tarpeian Rock. Anyone guilty of treason was thrown from it to their death. It signifies conflict but Hersilia, she represents an end to the conflict. That love is apparently greater than hate," Loki crossed his arms, frowning at the painting.
"What is that look for?" I whispered, nudging Loki's arm.
"All of us... we're naturally driven to violence. It's an instinct. Innate. Everyone is born with the capacity for it. I don't believe that something as intangible as love is strong enough to stop it,"
"Well, I'd say you are wrong," Thor spoke, taking a step next to Loki.
"How so?" Loki tilted his head.
"Obviously what this lady is doing is forcing an end to the fight. Love is innate in us too, isn't it? People might be driven to violence but they are also driven to love. That's just nature," Thor placed his hands behind his back "What do you think, Emily?"
"I agree with Thor," I nodded. Thor stumbled a little, mouth opened. Loki rolled his eyes a Thor but smiled at me "Violence and conflict might be a given but I believe that something like love can end it,"
"Exactly. It's like, yeah, we have wars but there are a lot of good things out there too. Things to fight for," Thor smiled, happy that I picked him for once.
"I suppose that's a perspective," Loki clicked his tongue.
"You have got a hell of a way of agreeing to disagree," Thor put his hands on his hips.
"It's an acquired skill," Loki smiled and shrugged. He walked off to another painting.
"Have to admit, Emily. I was not expecting you to agree with me," Thor bumped my shoulder with his fist. I rolled my eyes at him.
"Don't expect it to happen often," I whispered.

The Louvre is about to close, so the three of us take our time wandering back outside.
"So, shall we head back?"
"So soon? All we have done is check out some old, boring as fuck paintings," Loki and I glare at Thor. Thor takes a step back and holds his hands up "I mean, some very impressive old, boring as fuck paintings,"
"Thor is right though. I feel like I have barely gotten a glimpse of Paris," I spin as I hold my arms out. Nearly tripping over my shoes.
"I wouldn't turn down a stroll by the Seine. There's a place I read about recently that I want to check out,"
"Come on! First time in Paris? It's gotta be the Eiffel Tower. I've always wanted to climb to the top of that thing," Thor clapped as he pointed to his left. Loki rolled his eyes, grabbed Thor's wrist and moved his hand so he was now pointing right "Oh. My bad"
"Moron."
"I've never been to Paris before. Give me a break. It's not like I can ask for directions." Thor scoffed.
"Both sound great and it's probably the last time we will get to have some fun for a while," I tapped my chin as I tried to think where I wanted to go. I ain't a fan of heights so it was not really that difficult to choose.
"Then I will see you later." Thor puts his hands in his pocket and heads left. Loki grabs his shirt and spins him so he is now facing right "I knew where I was going."
"What do you mean, See you later?" I frowned.
"I already know you're gonna go with Loki."
"You don't know that she was going to pick me." Loki frowned.
"Really?" Thor raised an eyebrow. He then swung his head to look at me.
"He is right. I was gonna go with you." I rubbed the back of my neck. Loki licked his lips as he chuckled softly. Thor gave us a salute and walked off, hands in his pockets.
"He is gonna be salty about me choosing you for a long time." I sighed, crossing my arms.
"Meh, He'll get over it." Loki offered me his arm, which I happily accepted "Well, alright then. Let's have some fun."

Loki and I take a stroll along the Seine River, Admiring the lights of the city at night.
"It's even more beautiful than I had imagined," I grinned. I didn't dare breathe in too much as Paris has a strange smell to it. It might be the drains though. I stopped by the river and watched as the river gleamed. I love it when the moon is reflecting in the water. something about the stillness brings me closer to inner peace.
"And yet you are the most beautiful thing here," Loki draped his arm over my shoulder. I am slightly startled by the unexpected compliment, I blush and look away with a smile "Too forward?"
"Not at all. Just trying to think of something that will catch you off guard,"
"I look forward to that," Loki and I share companionable silence as we walk, the air cool and refreshing against my skin. Although the shops along the streets are closed for the night, there are still some people walking, talking and holding hands "I've always liked Paris, despite the threat of the Black Order looming about it. It never seems to sleep,"
"And as a nocturnal being, I'm sure that is a big plus," I sighed, smiling softly. Loki removes his arm and walks a little bit ahead of me.
"Naturally," Loki smiles as he leads me further along the river "But it is more than that. There's an old-world feeling here. It makes me nostalgic," I take Loki's hand in mine and he smiles at me.
"I know what you mean. There's so much history here. So much we have yet to uncover," Loki squeezes my hand.
"We will uncover it together," Loki kisses the back of my hand and turns his head to the right "Ah, Here we are," I look around and see a large boat docked at the river. There are warm, yellow lights spilling from its portholes and people milling about the deck.
"Are we taking a cruise?"
"Something like that,"

Loki leads me up the gangplank and checks in with a bouncer. I see then that the boat is some sort of ritzy club.
"Okay, This... this I was not expecting," There are round standing tables all along the deck where people in cocktail dresses and suits sip on drinks "Ohh, There's a live band," From below, I can hear the chatter of a small crowd and the familiar sounds of a kitchen.
"What do you think?" Loki stands behind me, Hands on my hips. He pulled me closer to him.
"It's gorgeous!" I exclaim. I lean the back of my head on Loki's chest "Also, I am very relieved that I am dressed for the occasion,"
"I'm glad you liked it" Loki kissed the side of my head "I've heard about this place but I was interested in seeing it for myself,"
"It certainly has a 'Loki Odinson' vibe to it,"
"I'm a little afraid to ask what that means,"
"Don't worry, It's a good thing," I patted his hands and walked forward.

The two of us wander into the deck, lingering by the companionway that leads down below.
"So? Where should we go?"
"I gotta check the band out," I lead Loki towards a tall round table near the band. They are playing soft jazz music that fits the setting perfectly.

As I listen, I gaze out at the river sparkling under the moonlight. I turn to comment on the atmosphere to Loki, to find his hand outstretched towards me. An adoring smile on his face as he gazes at me.
"Do me the honour?"
"You're joking, right? no one else is dancing," I looked around, slightly freaked out. Loki takes my hand and presses a kiss to the back of it before twirling me onto the dancefloor. In what seems like an instant, I am pressed against his chest, swaying gently to the beat.
"I have never known you to worry over what some 'stuffy' people you don't know, think about you," I glance around, seeing that no one is paying us any attention, and settle against him.
"You're right. I don't care. not one bit," I rest my head on his shoulder His right hand holds mine, firmly but softly and his left hand rests on my waist, his touch light as he leads me around the floor "You're really good at this,"
"So I have been told, once or twice," Loki gloats "The ability to hold my own on the dance floor was one of the first things I learnt after I was turned. Actually, I hear it's one of the first things many vampires master,"
"Seriously? Why is that?" Loki spins me in a slow twirl before pulling me back in, his hand settling on my lower back, drawing me in closer.
"When you live as long as we do, being able to blend into every time period is essential. Dance is the only way to do that," Loki adjusted his hand "For me personally... it's always made me feel as close to human as I can get. The liveliness of a jig, the drama of a tango... the romance of a slow dance," The two of us are nearly cheek to cheek, his voice carried quietly on the wind, brushing by my ear.
"You make it sound so beautiful,"
"It is. Especially when you do it with someone you care very deeply for,"

As the night went on, I began to get tired. Damn, human stamina. Loki and I leave the boat and slowly make our way back to the apartment. We walk hand in hand, content and at ease for the first time in days. As we pass over a ridge, I realize where we are.
"Oh! This is the love bridge!" I squeaked.
"The what?" Loki asked. Though he didn't resist, he was slightly confused by my actions and I dragged him over to the bridge.
"Wow. You know your classics and your fancy restaurants but you are clearly behind on your top 10 most romantic places," I rolled my eyes, grinning. I let go of Loki's hand and walked onto the bridge "See all the padlocks? Couples put them here to symbolize their everlasting love. Although, I think the city's starting to take them down. Something about the bridge starting to collapse. Blah, blah, blah" Loki glances at me, uncertainly and I notice that he has something in his hand. I smiled as I saw it was a padlock "I thought you didn't know about the love bridge?"
"I just wanted to hear it from your lips," Loki chuckled as he walked closer to me "What do you think, shall we?"
"For us," the two of us find a spot and close the padlock together, Loki's hand covering mine as I press the lock closed. Loki tossed the key into the river "I feel sorry for the fish that just got hit with that key," Loki chuckled at me.
"There. Now all of Paris will know what we mean to each other" Loki whispers as he takes my hand in his.
"To our eternity," I smile but my eyes meet Loki's, They are conflicted and ambiguous "Did I... did I say something wrong?"
"No. Not at all. It's just... eternity can mean something very different to you than it does to me," Loki closes his eyes and pulls me closer to him "I want to be with you, Emily. Plain and simple. I want to share all these moments. To share every moment but sometimes I feel like there is just this chasm between us. One that will only grow wider with every year," Loki looks away to the river. A thought dances at the back of my mind, one I barely dare to express. I place my left hand on his cheek.
"I know our timelines are different but... but they don't have to be. Not if... you..." I couldn't bring myself to say the words. Could I really become a vampire? If you had asked me this time last year that I was considering becoming a vampire then I would have laughed at you. But after falling in love with one? I would do it in a heartbeat.
"That's a conversation to be had. A long, complex, fraught one but we can talk about it," Loki gently cups my face in his hands. At least he knew what I was trying to say "But... not tonight. Not with everything happening. Let's just... enjoy tonight. Together,"
"Loki..." I gaze into his eyes and he gazes back. The night is still around us, the stars winking overhead. I wrap my arms around Loki and press my mouth to his.
"Emily..." he holds me closer, deepening the kiss until the outside world fades and all I can focus on is Loki. The strength of his arms, the warmth of his chest.
"Loki... Thank you for tonight... for this,"
"Always," He kisses me again, pressing me up against the bridge. the padlocks rattle beneath me. I dig my hand into his hair, opening myself to him, offering him everything. He takes it greedily, our bodies pressed together. Finally, I pull away slightly for air. He kisses my cheek, my nose, and my forehead "I am so glad you are with me, Emily,"
"Loki..." The two of us continue to kiss under the winking stars, in the middle of a sleepless Paris.

I have no idea when I passed out or how I even got home but I woke up the next night to find Loki and Thor drinking tea and coffee with Sylvie in the kitchen.
"There she is," Sylvie waved.
"Morning sleepy butt," Thor grinned at me and poured me a cup of tea. Loki smiles softly at me and winks.
"Oh! I'm sorry, I must have slept in," I yawn.
"Not to worry. Now that you are awake, I can let you know what I have found," Sylvie sets down her mug.
"We'd be grateful to hear it," Loki nods as I take a seat next to him. Sylvie smiles and takes out a notebook, flipping through the pages. she taps on some words written in French.
"That gem that I saw was suspiciously large. Thankfully, that led me to discover its name rather quickly: The Eye of Bathory,"
"Eye of Bathory? Is that like the Eye of Sauron?" All the vampires stare at me. And I shrug apologetically "Melody would have laughed," I mumbled under my breath, and Loki patted my hand.
"Once I discovered what the gem was, it was easier to figure out the tome: The Book of Blood,"
"The Eye of Bathory and The Book of Blood... those sound familiar,"
"Apparently the Eye was last seen with aristocratic vampires in Prague, so I will need to do more research to pinpoint its exact location but as for the book, its last known location was right here, in Paris,"
"Makes our job a little easier," Thor rubs his hands together "Where?"
"My best guess would be that it is somewhere in the vampire crypts below the catacombs, along with its owner, the late Mobius M. Mobius,"
"Perfect. We better go find it before someone else does," Loki clapped his hands.
"Wait, you mean the catacombs like... like the creepy place with all the bones?"
"The one and only,"
"And under that are... vampire crypts?"
"Oui,"
"... Merde," I ran my hands through my hair. Loki placed a hand on my knee. I hate skeletons. I can't even play Skyrim without freaking out.
"That's what freaks you out? Bones?" Thor laughed. I just glared at him. Sylvie looked at me confused.
"Does someone wanna explain why Thor is about to die of laughter?" she pointed at the meathead with her thumb.
"When Emily first found out about our kind, she didn't run screaming," Loki explained.
"Actually, if I recall, I did freak and try to run out the door but you stopped me," I poke Loki in the shoulder "But only because I thought you were going to suck my blood," And to this day (Despite the life-threatening situations,) I am so glad that he stopped me. Loki wiggled his tie, a little embarrassed.
"Since then, Nothing has phased you," Loki said after clearing his throat.
"Well, I guess being an intern at Stark Enterprises really does help prepare you for the weird and downright strange things in life," I leaned back in my chair.
"Stark? As in Tony Stark? That man used to chase anything in a skirt till be met that Pepper lass," Sylvie nodded, grinning "Does that mean you know HULK?"
"Yep, and he is as angry as you think he is. Though he has a son believe it or not. I don't know his name though but his cousin, Jen... something... Works with Matt Murdock,"
"She-hulk? Man, you work with some strange people," Sylvie sipped her drink.
"I don't know whether I should feel offended by that," Loki smiled.
"I can't believe that bones freak you out," Thor chuckled loudly.
"Carry on and I will take one of the bones down in the crypt and shove it where the moon doesn't shine," I warned as I put my hand over Thor's mouth.
"I'll behave," Thor mumbled behind my hand.
"Did I mention that I adore you?" Sylvie grinned as Loki pulled my hand away from Thor.
"As do I," Loki whispered in my ear. I blushed as Loki made me move seats away from Thor.