Chapter 5 | "the speech"

•Emery's POV•

Emery's POV•

"So? What do you think?"

"It was good?"

"Bella, spill it."

"Ok, it wasn't the best,"

"It wasn't bad though, just sounded stiff,"

"Rude,"

"Ask Haley, she can help,"

"I want to do this by myself,"

"Would you rather embarrass yourself at your new school or ask for help from someone whose literal job is to help you?"

"Fine, I'll run it by her,"

"Ok, good, I got to go now bye Em,"

"Bye Bella."

I decided to try again one more time.

Hello, I'm very excited to be attending Valentine Academy...

And that's all I have.

I sigh clicking the call button on my phone.

"Emery, hello how are you?" Haley's cheery voice says through the phone.

"I'm doing good, how are you?" I ask in return.

"Very good thanks for asking, so what can I do for you?" She asks.

"I need some help with a speech I have to write," I say.

"You're writing the speech?" She questions. Back home we had a writer to do this kind of stuff, I would help sometimes, just making it my own but the base speech was whatever they had written.

"That was part of the deal, if I go here I want more freedom,"

"Ahh ok, so what do you have so far?" She asks.

I read her the one sentence I have. We spend the next hour and a half working on it together.

Here's what we have.

Hello,
I want to start today by saying a big thank you to everyone at Valentine Academy for their hard work running the school and making me feel welcome.

I am very excited to start classes here and look forward to making friends and memories...

I continue talking for a while about the opportunities this school offers for everyone.

It's not a speech I would particularly choose to read out loud but Haley thinks father will be very pleased by it.

It sends the right message, that I'm happy to be here and look forward to working with the school and its many investors in the future.