Chapter one

"Why did I open it?"

I ask this question to myself everyday.
I havent found an answer yet, because I think I secretly never want to bury the moments away.
As everyone has experienced their first love- I wouldn't say mine was love, its something I still cant find the word for.

---
We had planned to meet up. I called him the other day for the first time in a while. Waiting for my phone to ring, I stood looking out the window.
I eventually see him walk by my driveway. I reach out to open my window but following him was a little girl whom I had never seen before.

Instead of saying hello, I observed.
He opens my mailbox and places an object inside. He turns around to the little girl, giving her a reassuring smile. Once they had left I went to go and collect what had been left in my mailbox.
---
The item I hold in my hands was familiar. It was a painting I had made for him on our first "date" as I like to call it.
"He returned it?"
I felt a piece of paper stuck at the back of the painting.

On the letter was written:

"I didnt have the guts to say this in person after being gone for so long... so I wrote it instead.
I didnt forget what you said back then... I'm passing this onto you, as an invitation that my door is unlocked and you're always welcome. If you remember too, visit me and return this painting."
And below he had written his address.
---
(FLASHBACK)
((5 years ago))

JEONGIN: This butterfly you painted--its really beautiful, but why have you given me this knowing what I did to you?

ME: That was a mistake! You didnt mean to lock me outside your house--

JEONGIN:--im really sorry, if I had known the painting job was to be done that day I would have made sure the door was open.

ME: The wind closed it, it's really not your fault- so accept this painting but promise to keep it.

JEONGIN: Of course I would keep it, why wouldnt I? I'll pay you extra--after all you did spend 2 hours painting a mural after being locked outside for 3 hours... And now I'm receiving a personal painting?
You havent even finished the mural yet; tomorrow when you come over I promise to buy you lots of delicious snacks for you to eat while you work.

ME: Its my job to paint murals, next time just keep your door unlocked for me. Think of this painting as a reminder."

JEONGIN: And if I forget its meaning?

ME: Then it means you weren't sorry.

(END OF FLASHBACK)

--
(MY POV)

I used to paint murals when I was 13. It was merely a small part time job to earn pocket money.
I met Jeongin this way- he was my first client.
He had asked me to paint a mandala covering the entrance of his house- his mother had instructed him to ask me this as she was away for a business trip.

I had gotten locked out that day for what felt like 10 hours, he was too busy playing video games and forgot I was coming to paint, he never really told me that he was actually focusing on a game while I was busy waiting outside. When I went into his house I saw the game displayed on his TV and immediately knew what he was doing...although...I'm glad he was distracted.

It made him feel like he had to repay me somehow, the possibility of seeing him again made me exited.

(END OF POV)
--

(JEONGINS POV)

I had left korea when I was 13, I didnt get the chance to tell her I was leaving. We had hung out at my house often and we would play video games together. When I was with her I felt less lonely.
These days I occasionally have flashbacks about her giving me the butterfly painting, and how sincere she was when she gave it to me. All these years I've been wondering how she has been doing.