Chapter 21

Liana hadn't meant to make matters worse. She wanted only to make a point that she wouldn't be pushed around and run over like she didn't matter. Now she had nothing but confusion on her mind. Liana's plan had originally been to make Conner angry. Long story short, that hadn't happened.

Liana didn't expect Conner to be so secure in his own manhood. It had been years since she met a man who could so control his irritation. Someone who didn't berate her for purposely seducing others. Conner had, instead, only reminded her that she would be going home with only one person. Him.

Truth be told, Liana hadn't thought through her plan very well. Now that she had waltzed in looking as alluring as she could be, Liana didn't like the predatory way that eyes followed her every movement. Maren had tried to warn her, but Liana didn't listen. Now she wished that she had.

This whole world was new to Liana. It still didn't make sense. But one thing she knew for certain: wolves were triggered by scent more than sight.

A look down at her own outfit suddenly made other things click in Liana's mind. Conner hadn't said it, but she was smart enough to figure it out. Too much skin showing. Bare shoulders, bare legs, bare feet. With nothing to cover her scent, it must be everywhere. Maybe she should start listening to the warnings given to her.

As much as Liana didn't want to admit it, Conner knew what he was talking about. After all, he had been living on the Res far longer than she had.

Sadly, it was too late to change her mind about her outfit.

Conner asissted her into a seat at a long banquet table. His fingers glanced against the back of her shoulder, near the spot where he had kissed her skin. Liana could still feel the burning sensation of his lips, the electric sizzle of his words in her ear.

Every pore in Liana's body wanted to be closer to him. Every reminder in her head said she couldn't give in. The torture of the opposite views made her chest hurt so badly that Liana pressed a hand to her heart in hopes of calming the ache.

Conner frowned, stopping halfway into his seat. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Liana shook her head. "Just figuring some things out."

"Are you sure? You look pale." Conner pressed a palm to her forehead.

Liana shook him off. "I'm fine. Let's eat."

Though Conner seemed dubious, he didn't question her further. Maybe her ire had convinced him that she meant business. Liana wouldn't be a pushover. Not if she could help it.

"We're going to be here for a while, so take small bites," Conner admonished as he loaded a plate with goodies and set it in front of Liana. "Don't drink alcohol."

"Why not?" Liana refused to mention that she never had a taste for many alcoholic beverages, anyway. Conner couldn't tell her what to do, not when she was supposed to be taking revenge for his lack of communication skills.

But he turned those vibrant eyes to her, gold flashing in their depths. "I don't know your drunken habits."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"I'll have a hard enough time restraining myself without the influence of alcohol between us." Conner let his gaze peruse her, down to the bare shoulder where he had planted a kiss. "So I suggest we both keep alcohol out of the equation."

How did he manage to make his very gaze burn into her skin like a branding iron? Liana swallowed, her heart clamping tighter as her thoughts raced back and forth.

A nod sufficed to answer Conner. He was right. Alcohol would break down their resolve, and Liana was already having trouble keeping her resolve up. She couldn't chance what would happen if they got drunk.