Part 12

It appears that embarrassment was always linked to him! The number of times she had to accept that he was not willing to go out with her, that he knew about her financial situation, knew about her personal situation, and now knows she was a virgin.

The utter embarrassment, the fact that he was here, pretending concerns. She knew, he would never consider her, because she comes with baggage. Debts. Family issues. No job.

Seth ran his fingers through his hair, "I wasn't going to..."

She steamrollered right over his sentence. "Just because we've had sex," She narrowed her eyes, "doesn't mean we should go out." She glared.

He rubbed the back of his neck and again attempted to move the conversation, "That is not..."

"It was sex." She all but yell, then lowered her voice, but said, "Just bloody sex, excuse the pun. But we just had sex. Nothing else." She folded her arms, to stop her from smacking him. For someone who has never considered hitting anyone, was surprised to find she could be moved to hit someone. She glared. "Just sex."

"Just sex?" he threw his hands in the air.

"yes. A normal function for most people. Ok. Just sex. Just unfortunately it involved us!" She could not believe she was having this conversation with him. She said firmly, "Thank you for the experience! Now good bye!" She reached for the door.

He put a hand on the door, and stopped her, saying, "My grandmother thinks we'd be good together." And over the last couple of minutes he'd come to the same conclusion. There was something about her. Not just unique. But she was someone who would stand up to him. Someone who was direct. Honest. Blunt. Passionate. And there were no sides to her. Unlike his ex-wife.

"She made a mistake." Evie snorted. She knew, his grandmother liked her. Whenever they meet, she was always kind and usually hints that her grandson would like Evie. That Evie would be perfect for him.

Seth banked his growl. He thought about his options. Clearly, hitching his wagon to his grandmother would not work here, as he knew he had torpedoed his grandmother's idea every time. Perhaps it was time to wave the fact that he could support Evie and alleviate the current finance situation. Maybe she would appreciate his help, now. "Look, Evie, I know you need someone to bail you out of a financial mess." He told her, pointing out what everyone knew. But if he knew her better it would have been the last thing to mention.

Evies eyes went molten. "Yes!" How dare he? She thought, and consider punching him, instead she jabbed at his shoulder, "You are right. I need someone to bail me out of a financial mess." A mess not generated by her. But she was fed up of people using her as scape goat. Her eyes shooting sparks looked at him, "And according to you, I've manipulated your grandmother! According to you, I persuaded your grandmother to bail me out. So clearly, the someone, is not you! Get out!" Her eyes flashed with heat. "Just go away before I do something that I really regret. Although at the moment, I doubt I will regret my actions. You are an offensive, horrible, idiot!"

This woman, unfortunately had no concerns or any problem about pushing his buttons! But he could see tears in her eyes, and at the same time could see the fury in her eyes, "I am so sorry. I was rude. I know I insulted you. I am really sorry. " He threw his hands up in the air and said quietly, "You know I was spouting rubbish!"

Evie snorted, and rubbed the back of her finger below her nose before saying, "Really?" She shook her head. "Remember, you told me you have no intention of bailing me out! Remember that? Something you said recently. I am pretty sure you remember that." She glowered. While her tone remained soft, she scowled when she said," And again, just to remind you, you said, that I persuaded your grandmother to help me. Your exact words, my problem not yours! Remember that. Idiot!"

Seth held up his hands to stop her from tearing strips off him. "You are right. I was stupid. And I made stupid decisions about you. I had not considered my words before I spoke."

"Surely you can find a decent excuse to defend your bad action!" She snapped. He ran his fingers through his head. And said nothing. "Too bad!" She growled.

"I was furious." He said bluntly.

"Brilliant. For your information, that excuse has no traction with me!"

Evie! You and I know, like most people, we all make lousy decision when angry. I was bloody furious."

She glared. "Fine. You're clearly furious now. I said, get out before you say something offensive or ridiculous, again!" She hauled open the door and stood beside it, waiting expectantly for him to leave. "Good night, Mr Thomson!"

He narrowed his eyes. Then Seth stepped toward the door. "This isn't over, Evie." He told her when they were toe to toe, "So if you are harbouring any misconceptions on that score, you'd do well to get rid of them." Then he pulled her to him, pressed a short kiss to her startled lips and then without another word stepped out and strode toward his car.