Prologue - Burnout

Ugh. I'm so tired. I decided to check the clock to see how much longer I had to spend in this lowkey abusive workplace. For today, at least. The clock says 4:45. Only fifteen minutes to go. I can do this. 

Recently, I have found myself being incredibly exhausted and overworked with my job. I work as an office worker at Joja Co. and it is not fun. There's even a rumor that someone died in their cubical while working because of how tired they were. Honestly, I don't feel far off from that. I used to think I would be able to function in an office job, but my 2 years here have proved me otherwise.

My phone buzzes so I pick it up and it's from my boss. I sigh.

Alice: Hey, would you mind coming to my office? 

I sigh and suddenly I start to feel a migraine coming on. I am this close to quitting. But I don't, and I pick up my phone again to respond.

[Name]: Sure. On my way.

Alice: Thanks, [Name].

I get up from my uncomfortable chair that is as hard as a rock and start walking to Alice's office. My muscles are so tense from sitting all day. I definitely need to book a massage or something. When I arrive at her office, Alice has an apologetic look on her face.

"Look.. I'm so sorry to ask you again this week, but could you possibly work late today?" Alice asks.

Oh my lord. This job.. I swear. I sigh.

"No problem," I say, pretending that I'm not completely disappointed right now.

I turn around and head back to my desk. I can't believe I just said yes. Again. I honestly need to learn my boundaries. Sometimes I wish I was my own boss.

I sit back down in my chair and start spinning back and forth. I'm zoning out when I remembered something. When my grandpa died, he left me a letter. But he told me to only open when I needed a fresh start.. and let me tell you. I need a fresh start.

I quickly reach for the drawer where I know it's stored in and take a second to admire the seal. It's beautiful. It's an elegant royal purple and reminds me a lot of my grandfather. After a while of reminiscing, I open the letter. 

Dear [Name],

If you're reading this, it probably means that you are feeling some sort of burn out. I've been there. If you're feeling stuck, I think I have the perfect thing for you. When I was in your situation, I moved to Pelican Town. You visited me there a couple times, I'm not sure if you remember. Anyways, I'm giving the farm to you. On a farm, you have so much freedom. You move at your own pace and don't have anyone bossing you around. So, if you would like to take this opportunity, call the number at the bottom of this letter. It's Mayor Lewis' number. Call and tell him that you'll be moving in, and tell him I say hi. I love you so so much.

Love, Grandpa.

Oh my god.. this is perfect! I immediately get up and start walking to Alice's office. I'm practically sprinting, actually. I burst into her office panting with a smile on my face.

"I quit! Oh my gosh it feels so good to finally say this! I quit! See ya.. never!" I say. The look on her face is so funny. She looks so shocked even though she just asked me to work overtime for the second time this week. "Bye!"

I head back to my office and stuck everything into my purse. Even the 'World's Best Employee' mug. Who knows how empty that cabin is? I'm gonna need all the dishware I can get.

There were two people at work who I guess I would call work friends. I really only went to get drinks with them once or twice, but I decided to tell them the news anyways.