Other End Of Your Night

"Oh, oh my goodness," Stevie practically squeals as Vivian comes through the door with Ella in her arms. The little girl, small for her age, has an absolute mop of long blonde curls, and from what Stevie can see of her sleeping face on Vivian's shoulder, looks just like her mother. "Oh, I'm so sorry," Stevie whispers as she runs a finger nail along Ella's cheek, "oh Vivian, she's precious."

Vivian smiles as she leans into Stevie to kiss her on the cheek, a custom they started last night as Stevie held her in a close embrace on the front stoop, a little wine drunk and swaying as she made silent promises instead of audible goodbyes. Stevie has thought about that moment on her porch all day against her better judgment; hugging Vivian so tight to her own body sparked something she hasn't felt in at least twenty years.

Stevie keeps a hand on Vivian's lower back as she walks her through the house. "Let's put her down in the spare room down here. I sent Karen out for monitors this morning so you can see her," she beams like Ella is her own child.

"Stevie," Vivian groans and it comes out soft and warm, like honey, and it lands right in the middle of Stevie's chest. "I already know you and this kid are gonna be the death of me. I have monitors!"

"Shhhh," Stevie smirks as she swings the door open, then flips the monitor on on the dresser. "This one has all the bells and whistles. Took me an hour to figure out which switch was the on one."

Vivian shakes her head and rolls her eyes as she unlatches Ella from her body and lays her in the middle of the bed, then pulls her baby blanket out of her leather tote and covers her with it. Stevie is standing against the dresser with her hands on her hips, marveling at the sight of a child in her home. She can't help it; she loves them. When Vivian turns Stevie grabs for her, wrapping her into a hug. Vivian allows it, wrapping her arms around her shoulders and tugging her hair away from her neck gently.

"I thought about you all night," Stevie confesses like she's done something wrong, "Are you sure you want to keep doing this film? We have so much more to talk about - will you stay for dinner tonight?"

Vivian huffs once, trying not to laugh and wake Ella. Stevie is the best kind of insufferable; sweet and kind and earnest. "I will stay for dinner, and yes, Stevie. I want to do this film. I want to tell this story. I want... I want you to be a part of my legacy, ok? I figured you would probably have some questions. I shouldn't have sprung something like this on you."

"Oh, no," Stevie shakes her head as she pulls back, breaking the embrace. "If we had done an entire documentary working together so closely and you never told me - that would not have been acceptable, Vivian. At all. That would have been unforgivable."

Vivian wonders if Stevie remembers she still has a hand on her hip, or what all this sudden affection even really means. She's heard tell that she can be a bit touchy, but a dam seemed to have broken last night when Stevie hugged her on the porch. It felt almost as if she was clinging to someone else; trying to quiet a memory she couldn't quite let go of but wished she could. She doesn't say anything as Stevie takes her by the hand and leads her out of the room, stopping along the way to the kitchen to kiss Dave on the lips as he sets up in the living room. Vivian kind of wishes she had let go of her hand for that particular moment, but it's fine.

"Did you eat before you came? Are you hungry?" Stevie finally releases her so she can get a glass of water, downing most of it in one go.

"I ate. Goodness woman, you're going to worry me into the ground," Vivian laughs, "I even brought my own water bottle and snacks."

"Ok...ok," Stevie nods as she sets the glass down on the counter, "I'll be better. I promise. I just - I've done this before, you know. Old habits die hard."