4. Happy New Year

31st December

Shiro

I swirl the contents of my glass as I observe the party raging around me. A friend of Katie's invited her, and she brought Matt and me along, me kicking and screaming when I would have been happy to curl up on the couch and watch Dick Clark. Boring. Predictable. Fitting me. Instead, here I am in this sprawling mansion with expansive windows complemented by metal accents. The sleek design, the large pool, everything here screams money, but I'm not in the right state of mind to be impressed by architecture.

Everyone is chatting or dancing, and plenty of people have drinks in their hands. They all look so damn excited about the new year that's about to drop, but I'm immune to the excitement buzzing through the air tonight, which is probably related to my dark-haired coworker and the note he left on my desk a couple of days after he sneaked out of my bedroom without a word.

Worried out of my mind, I called him when I discovered he had fled the house, but he didn't even pick up the phone. He responded with a text, apologizing that he went home, which ended our interaction. For the last school week of the year, he turned invisible, completely icing me. When I arrived at my office on the last day before the holidays, a Christmas present was sitting on my desk with a note attached to it.

Dear Shiro,

I can't express how sorry I am for my behavior at the Christmas party. I'd say it was an outlier, but you're familiar with me enough to recognize that claim for the bald-faced lie it is. Please know I'd have never hit on you like that if I had been sober, and accept my sincere apology. I put in a request with Allura to switch my office with your friend Matt, so starting the New Year, you should have an office buddy with better manners.

PS. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I hope it's true and the present can compensate for the damage I caused.

Keith.

My stomach squirmed unpleasantly when I reached the passage about him switching offices. That was the last thing I wanted. The morning after the party, I intended to talk to him, make sure he was okay, and ask him on a date, but finding the bed where I left him empty squashed all my hopes and threw them in the garbage.

Message received over and over. Keith felt mortified about his behavior. Of course, he only hit on me under the influence of copious amounts of booze. After all, what should he find attractive about a middle-aged high school teacher whose life is as exciting as pea soup? This isn't a Hallmark movie; a series of misunderstandings is just bad luck, not a way to a happy ending. No, our version of happily ever after is becoming two awkward coworkers who nod at each other in the hallways and who don't injure each other.

I guess the only reminder of Keith barging into my life in a swirl of color will be the gift he gave me. Once I opened the package, I found —

"So this is where you've been hiding. I've been looking for you for twenty minutes."

Matt has discovered my refuge in the corner and sits next to me, giving me a friendly clap on the shoulder.

"Why are you here all alone? Please don't tell me you're still moping about Keith."

"Matt, you're my friend, right?"

"Sure, buddy."

"Is there something wrong with me?"

Matt looks at me, his eyes roaming over my face as if checking for signs of a mental breakdown.

"How do you mean?" he asks.

"Why am I single? Is there something inherently wrong with me? Am I too boring? Predictable? Not fun enough?"

"Where is this coming from, Shiro?"