Keeping my Promise

Published 04/09/23

1 Week Later
Percy's POV

I smooth out my pants and straighten my shoulders as I silently step into the giant ballroom.

My gaze wanders the space until I spot Em talking frantically to one of the cooks.

I head over to her, putting a gentle hand on her shoulder. "What's wro-"

"The cooks forgot one of the appetizers! And now we might not have enough food, which means that this gala is already a bust! And-"

"Yeah, no," I hum, cutting her off. Then I turn to the cook, who looks pale with nerves. "Just finish everything else, and then as the gala is getting started work on the other dish, okay?"

The cook nods and runs off, leaving me to speak to Em... "The last appetizer can just be introduced later in the evening, okay? No need to stress about it."

Em sighs, moving to run a hand through her hair before pausing and slowly putting her hand back down.

"You look nice by the way," I compliment, taking in her appearance; she is wearing a long, strapless silver dress which has sheer sides and a slit going up the right leg to showcase her tall wedges. Her hair is elegantly pinned up, a couple of loose strands framing her face. And her makeup is done simply; just some lipstick and silver eyeshadow to go with her silver nails.

"You too," Em grins and I shrug, taking in my plain black suit, my hair still a constant mess atop my head.

"So when are guests getting here again?"

"Should be within the hour, actually. You want to help me greet them?"

"I mean, not particularly...."

Em stares me down, eyes narrowing, before she grabs my hand and tugs me along behind her. "Right. Guess I'll help," I mutter.

===============================

I take a sip of my champagne, watching the hundreds of guests, dressed in their finest clothes, meander around the room as they make small talk or take in the decorations...The tables are draped in rich brown cloth, set with fine china, and all have a vase full of artistically arranged exotic flowers in the middle. The room itself is a neutral tan, gold tapestries depicting scenes of the planet's history enunciating the color.

Setting my glass down on the tray of a passing waiter, I glance up only to catch eyes with a man across the room...

His eyes appear to hold the galaxy inside of them, swirling with an unmistakable aura of power, his hair is silver and curled just slightly but still nicely styled, and he is incredibly tall and built...

The slightest hint of a smile blossoms on his face but before I can do anything Em has not so gracefully slid into my field of view. "Hey Perce."

"Em. Hi," I say flatly, craning to look behind her, only to sigh when I see that the man from before is gone.

"Geez! No need to sound so happy to see me!"

"Sorry...I just-you know what? Nevermind. What's up?"

"Well," Em started, nervously playing with her fingers, "I know someone who's single. And you're single. So I just thought..."

"Oh my god please tell me you didn't!"

"-why not get you a date? Get you back out there, you know?"

"Em," I hiss warningly, my hands curling into fists at my sides.

"I'm sorry...but I really think this could be good for you...And if it goes badly then I give you free reign to deck me," Em shrugs, looking at me pleadingly.