Chapter 2: The Connection of Three

We awoke the next morning, right there on the grass, just outside our tents. The morning dew seeped through our clothes. We all groaned. I for one had a massive headache. Not sure if that was the case with the others.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Maybe we all sleep walked." Jason suggested.

"Don't be ridiculous..." Sam retorted. "Did anyone think to bring the asprin?"

"In the truck in the glove box," said Mack, holding his head too, getting up to get the medicine.

I got to my feet and I stretched. "Does anyone remember what happened last night?"

"I remember going to bed." Sam replied. "But then..."

He paused.

"But then, there were these strange lights in the sky, and then animals." Jason finished.

"Yeah," Sam looked over at Jason interestingly. "But that's impossible, right?"

"Could've been a dream." I added.

"But then how do you explain waking up outside our tent?" Jason curiously asked.

"Dude, I don't know," I replied. "Can we eat breakfast? I'm starving!"

"I second that!" Jason raised his hand. Getting off his butt and heading over to the stove.

"Dye, Jason!" Sam yelled. "We can't ignore this. We have to figure out what happened."

"Oh, come on Sammy." I say back. "None of us can remember what happened. It's early, we all have headaches and the bottomless pit over there is hungry."

"That would be me," Jason said from over at the stove.

"I say, If it's important then we'll find out."

I could see Sam still trying to make sense of it all. He makes this weird look like he's doing advanced algebra in his head or something. His eyes start to do this thing where it looks like he's seeing numbers in front of him. He starts murmuring to himself like he's going through theories and trying to hypothesize his findings. It's almost otherworldly if you ask me, but that's Sam.

"Okay, what about this?" he comes out and says. "What if it was a dream?"

"I literally just said that!"

"What, we all had the same dream?" Jason asked, lighting the stove.

"Exactly!" Sam replied. "There have been instances in which people do share the same dream!"

"That's ridiculous, Sammy. Who wants to be in a dream with you?" I laughed with a bit of snarkiness. I heard Jason follow up with a giggle.

"You remember the lights, and the animals, right?"

"Sure, but like you said that was impossible."

"Which leaves only one possible answer."

"That we all held hands in a dream." Jason yelled over his shoulder. "We got it, Sammy."

"Guys, I'm being serious."

"We know." Jason and I said almost immediately.

"You guys okay?" Asked Mack, finally returning from the truck. "Here you go, Sammy." he tossed the bottle of pills over to him.

"Thanks," Sam untwisted the cap and poured two pills into his hand. He threw them in his mouth and swallowed them whole.

"We're fine." I say to Mack. "But Sam has an interesting theory about what happened last night."