Chapter One

"WAKE UP YOU LAZY TOADSTOOL!" Bellowed a squeaky voice from below the sleeping green seawing. She yelped as she fell, startled, out of a palm tree on the beach.

"What was that for!?" Asked Torrent grumpily as she shook sand from between her pearlescent green scales.

"Mother told me to wake you! Father caught some fish for breakfast while you were dozing uselessly in this stupid tree. What do you like about this thing anyway?" rambled her annoying brother. His grey eyes veered toward the palm tree as he spoke; he looked as if he was calculating the slender branches as they swayed in the ocean breeze.

"That's none of your business, Anchovy." Torrent spat his name as she answered, the blinding sun worsening her already foul mood. Nonetheless, she followed the bulky prince into the water as he waded below the surface and began to dive home. The isolated mansion that she had grown up in was always her house, but she always felt much more at home in the trees, listening to the waves from above the sea.

"There you are! I was beginning to worry!" flashed their mother as the two walked in. Torrent smiled as she saw her other brothers swim to the table. Their faces were grim as they sat in their chairs. "Boys! Now that your sister is here I must take roll call!" Torrent sat down as she tuned out the list of names and flashed yes as her mother flicked Torrent. She smiled as she saw a face in the green-tinted glass window and shoveled the fish down and flooded out the door, ignoring the angry light show that was her mother. The purple seawing that swam around the corner was just who she'd been waiting to see.

"Hey, Manatee!" she flashed happpily as they both spun to the surface, settling in a warm, shallow hotspring. "Where have you been these past few days?" Torrent asked demandingly, "you left me in a stuffy house with a bagillion brothers and two sisterss that are to young to talk!"

"I'm sorry! I was on official Queen's buissness!" Exclaimed the destressed seawing.

"What could possibly be so important that the thirteenth to the throne can't know about it?" She teased, flicking him over the snout with the warm water. She giggled at his crinkled snout as he scowled, grumbling something inaudible. Torrent raced up the beach, rolling in the sand, letting it cake over her dripping scales and sighed, somehow wishing she could stay on land forever. She blnked open her eyes to see a laughing purple dragon smiling above her and stood, realizing that she probably looked too foolish to be anything close to royalty.

"You look like an ancient mudwing!" Laughed Manatee.

"Oh, shut up!" She grumbled, hiding the laugh that bubbled in her chest. She shook the sand from her scales, letting her laugh escape as the wet muck splattered onto Manatee's perfectly clean scales.

"Oh, you're on!" He yelped, shoveling a wad of sand into his talon and whiping it at her. She laughed and threw a larger clump at him. They colapsed onto the sand in a fit of laughter.

As the rain started to fall they waved goodbye and lept into the water, swimming in the opposite directons, each heading home for the evening.