Under the Water

I lay in bed scrolling through my phone as I always do every morning when I wake up. I sighed and finally got the motivation to set my phone down and sit up, squinting as I glanced at my window. The bright sun shone through the thin curtains. I stretched and leaped out of bed to prepare for the day. It was a beautiful Friday and this weekend was my last weekend before I had to go back into the adulting world. I had just landed a job as a phlebotomist for my local medical research lab and was due to start my first day this Monday. So to make the most of it my six lifelong friends decided that we would start off my weekend by having a beach day. I put on my favorite bikini and coverup and packed my tote bag with water, sunscreen, and a beach towel. I almost sat down to scroll through my phone some more but before I could I immediately got a phone call. Looking at the caller ID I saw it was Jin. I smiled and let it ring a few more times out of pettiness before I answered with fake confusion.

  "Hello?" I was met with a second of silence and I bit my cheek to fight back a chuckle.

  "HELLO?! Don't act like you don't have my number saved you punk, you hit me up for food almost every day! Get your butt out here and let's go or we leaving without you!"

  And with that, he immediately hung up and I erupted in laughter and grabbed my things, and walked out the door to my house. I saw Jins soccer mom van, which he hates that I call it that, and ran for the back door that was already opened for me with a smiling Jimin poking his head out. 

  "Hello everyone!" I said as I climbed into the back. I was met with a mix of "Hello" "Hey" "What's up" and "Shut up, Buckle up, I'm about to speed." as I sat down next to Jimin.

  "Why are we in a rush?" I questioned as I put my seat belt on. Jin skrrted down the road as he explained that he wanted to get there in time to find a good spot. Namjoon sighed and shook his head from the passenger seat.

  "It's a private beach and a Friday morning. I'm sure we'll have plenty of room to ourselves." Namjoon said. I leaned back in my seat and looked out the window at the trees that zoomed past. Yoongi and Hobi sat in front of me, Yoongi's eyes closed and headphones on I could hear what he was listening to he had the volume up so loud. I was stuck in the back back with Jimin and Jungkook. I have known these men since high school, we met through my uncle, and they just kind of stuck around me ever since. When my parents weren't there anymore and my uncle was barely around due to work, they were there for me at my highest and lowest points. They were my big brothers I had begged my mom for when I was a little child and I am thankful for them.

  We arrived about a half hour later and set up our little spot on the beach. When we were all set I ran for the ocean and jumped in. I was soon accompanied by Jungkook and Hobi as we swam around. When Jimin joined us that's when it became warfare. Jimin and Jungkook got into a water fight splashing everywhere and I somehow, like always, got sucked into the middle of it. Hobi laughed at us from the sidelines clapping when someone got splashed comically hard. Namjoon and Jin came out eventually joining in the fun.

  "Wheres Yoongi hyung?" Jungkook asked looking around as he noticed the count was off. Namjoon turned and pointed back to the beach where Yoongi was seen reclined in his beach chair sipping a margarita under the large umbrella. Jungkook smirked and stalked his way up onto the beach. We all watched as he stood over Yoongi smiling, Yoongi expressed a startled expression when he realized this boy was standing over him. Words were exchanged between the two that we couldn't hear from a distance but I could read Yoongis lips on one of the sentences he told Jungkook, and I wasn't about to repeat that. Next thing you know Jungkook has Yoongi by the arm and is dragging him without much effort toward the ocean. Yoongi is screaming and trying to pull back at this point but it's too late. Jungkook done lifted him up and threw him at us resulting in us all being splashed. Yoongi resurfaced fake crying at us laughing.

  "Whyyyyy?" He whined.

  "Because you got to join us, bro! The water's nice

  "Because you got to join us, bro! The water's nice." Hobi beamed at him. The whining man was suddenly silenced.

  We enjoyed our time with games, surfing, and bodyboarding. Eventually, the group dispersed onto the beach to get a bite to eat, but I just wanted to soak in a few extra moments of alone time in the ocean as I floated on my bodyboard. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the sun on my skin and the warm water that surrounded me as I softly bobbed up and down from the waves making their way to the shore. I thought to myself how could it get better than this, as an odd gust of wind whipped against my face. Chills were sent down my spine as the warmth of the sun suddenly disappeared and cool wind started whipping harder. I opened my eyes and looked up to see a huge dark cloud above me, giving me the biggest feeling of uneasiness in my gut. I looked to the shore suddenly realizing I had floated off a bit farther than comfort. I see Namjoon waving me to come back with a serious look of concern across his face. In fact all of their faces looked concerned as they looked around and the swiftly changing conditions. I start to paddle with my board underneath me but to my growing anxiety I wasn't moving forward. I was realizing I was actually moving back farther and farther from shore. I paddled desperately as I heard them screaming my name for me to come back and that I was to far. But no matter how hard I tried I wasn't moving any closer and exhaustion in my muscles was creeping up fast on me. I felt a cold shift in the water and something in my brain told me to look behind me. I didn't want to knowing I wasn't going to like it, but I did anyways. I was met with the terrifying sight of a monstrous wave about 20 ft in height coming straight for me. I was doomed. I was paralyzed. The muscles in my arms and legs were fatigued and numb. I started to cry as I turned to look back at the shore once more to see Jungkook running out to the water and swimming as fast as he could to get to me, I reached out my arm in a sad, desperate attempt to close the huge distance between us. I shivered in fear as I whispered a please to him. He was screaming my name, begging me to paddle to him. But the last thing I heard was the roar of the wave as it toppled over me. 

 I was dragged under the cold stinging water, there was nothing but darkness.

......................................................................