𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧 - 𝙇𝙪𝙘𝙞𝙖

Chapter 3 - Lucia

At some point during the ride to the airport I hear my parents bring up my tennis season to Cade. I watch Cades face as my parents tell them that my shitty new mixed doubles partner and I didn't win a match all season. Cade doesn't know whether he should laugh at that or seem remorseful, that's exactly how I felt sadly.

I usually play mixed doubles in tennis with Cade and we dominate the court, one year we actually won nationals. After what happened last August though we stopped talking to each other and he started to put all of his focus into hockey. So I was stuck with Jacob Steller, and he is not steller like his name. He only made the tennis team because his family has a shit ton of money, and secondly he didn't know how to play tennis, so we didn't even make it past the zone. Lastly, he tried hitting on me all season, and would always look under my skirt when he thought I wasn't looking. Cade never did that.

''So Lucia's tennis season was a dud. How was your hockey season Cade?'' my mother askes. ''Oh it was great, we won provincials and of course I got the Boston University scholarship I was working toward. I do wish I could have played doubles with Lucia this season though.'' I think that's an fucking lie staright after those words come out of Cades mouth. ''Well you both will be happy to hear that I have signed you guys up for an mixed doubles tennis tournament just outside of Paris at the start of July!'' My mouth physically falls open right as my mother says that. ''You didn't think to ask me if I wanted to do that before you signed me up?'' I say forcely at my mother ''Well I would think it would be fun, you too get to stay in Paris by yourselves and play tennis with each other before he graduates!'' My mom winks at me when she tells me that. My mom has always been trying to get Cade and I together ever since he first came to the summer house in 2010. ''I think it would be fun Lucia. I mean you always have wanted to visit Paris and on our way back we can stop at the French Grand Prix to watch the race.'' Cade consoles me. Cade and I have always made conversation over our shared passion for Formula 1 and it has always been a dream of mine to watch a race. ''I will think about it.'' I tell Cade with a forced smile on my face.

I put my airpods back in to hopefully end that conversation. I put on No Body, No Crime on by Taylor Swift, because right now I really want to no body, no crime my mother. Music has become my escape. I remember in July, Cade would take me out on the boat and I would blast music, usually Taylor Swift and I would dance around while he was laughing and singing along with me. Cade and I were never exclusive, so it's hard to mourn the relationship knowing that I never got any closure from it. 

My friends always ask me if I would ever relive last summer again, to them I say no, but in my mind I always say yes. Last summer was the closest thing I ever had to love. This past school year I dated a guy named Daniel, he was perfectly basic in my mind. On Valentine's Day Daniel bought me drug store chocolates, the year before that even before we were a 'thing', Cade bought me tennis balls with my initials on them. He claimed that he didn't know that it was Valentine's Day the day he gave them to me, but the look in his eyes said something different.

I glance over at Cade, his forest green eyes glistening in the morning sunlight, and some blond highlights peeking out of his dark brown hair. I shake my head to get myself out of my trance. I am 95% sure that Cade saw me checking him out because he shakes his head with a smug smile on his face. ''You should humble yourself Rhodes'' I whisper to myself but it was apparently not a great whisper because Cade says''That's rich coming from you.''''And how is that, are you saying I am not humble, because I remember two weeks ago you bragging in front of about 25 people about you getting an hockey scholarship to Boston, like I am sorry but no one fucking cares'' I say back with an attatude. ''Lucia Cos-''''Oh, so you are my stalker now are you. Little Lucia oh how I hate you Cade Costello is following me around school now huh?'' Cade cuts my Dad off by saying that.''You piece of sh-" I start to reply to Cade before''LUCIA ENOUGH!'' My mom yells and cuts me off. ''I am sorry for my volume but something has gotten into you Lucia after you and Daniel broke up. And you never seem to want to talk about it, you just sit there with those headphones in with a pissy attitude. You can talk to me if you want Lucia. You know that.'' My mom continues. ''I don't care about Daniel, I was the one who broke things off with him remember,.'' I reply to my mom''Then why are you like this, are you lonely, you know I can get you an therapist'' ''I am fine Mom, I am sorry if I have been acting out.'' I end the conversation with. The only thing I know right now is that this is going to be a very long summer.