Seperated (One-shot)

"Doctor! Please, is my son doing alright?"

Fraternal twins were born on the 9th of July. Although the first was a healthy baby, it could be said differently about the other. At first the boy wasn't breathing, then seemed to be short of breath but was quickly noticed by the medical experts and was brought away from the parents to the emergency room. 

"I regret to inform you, but it seems like your son has asthma, Nanase-san. Although it is incurable, he will be able to survive with the help of medicine. Don't worry, his condition is stable now and will be able to be discharged soon," the doctor turned to face the distressed father of the twins.

Relating the information the doctor told him, the mother broke down crying. She only wished for both her children to be healthy, yet the world is cruel; not going the way they anticipated. Being owners of a small live house, they knew they wouldn't be able to provide sufficient medical fees for the youngest.

"I'm sorry, Riku." The couple dropped the youngest at an orphanage, leaving an anonymous letter for the caretakers of the orphanage, and never looked back. Through tough decisions, they knew it would be better if he was under the care of someone else.

***

"Gather around everyone, we have new company." A caretaker gathers all the children around, introducing two other kids, both with sky blue hair. A shy looking girl and an older boy with a grumpy look on his face. Both of them only kept to themselves at the beginning, and didn't try to open up with the other kids.

"Tamaki and Aya, right?" A red haired boy, just a little older than the other boy, approached the siblings.

"Y-yes..." the girl, Aya hesitantly nodded her head.

"I'm Riku!" He smiled in a friendly manner. At first the duo wasn't sure what to do, but Aya eventually opened up a little more and started smiling, "A smile suits you more! You should smile more often," he encouraged, and so she eventually started opening up to others a little too. Tamaki on the other hand wasn't as friendly. Although he wasn't interested in being friends with Riku, he often Jim's himself with the older, simply because Aya would only trust Riku aside from Tamaki in the orphanage. Riku would sometimes see Tamaki glaring at him, which did shock him at first, but eventually grew accustomed to it and smiled in reply.

The red head isn't always found easily though. Sometimes Aya would run around trying to find the older, but wouldn't be able to find him at the end of the day. The caretakers would only say he was busy and nothing more. As kids, they just accepted the answer and thought of it as the truth.

"Tamaki-niichan... why don't you try and open up to Ri-chan more?" Aya asked her brother.

"...who?" Tamaki raised an eyebrow.

"Jeez! You need to pay attention to your surroundings more, Tamaki-niichan!" Aya puffed her cheeks, "The red haired boy that I always play with!"

"Oh, that guy. Mehhh, I don't feel like it." Tamaki lazily laid on his bed.

"Please...! Tamaki-niichan..." Aya begged.

"...fine... I can try but I can't promise you anything." He rolled over to face the wall and drifted off into sleep.

The next day, the same routine happened. Breakfast, cleaning out the dishes and helping with housework, studying and of course play time. As per usual, the three are together under a tree in the yard. The wind's breeze was calming, and it is around the time flowers begin to bloom.

"Aya-chan! Can you come help me quickly?" One of the caretakers called out.

"Yes, coming!"

Leaving the two alone, Tamaki thought he should at least say something to ease up the awkward silence, and to attempt what Aya requested, "Hey... Riku, right?"