One

My life is over. I could feel it draining away with each passing second. How was I going to survive this?

"Stop being so dramatic, Addeline." My mother says, craning back over the passenger seat to look at me. I was told often that we looked more like sisters than mother and daughter. I don't respond, my eyes locked on the outside, each moss covered willow tree or road sign.

"Smile, Lani and be positive. It's a new start of us. For the better." Said my dad, he smiled at me in the mirror. His dark brown hair was streaked with grey and his face crinkled with dozens of laugh lines.

I wanted to go back home. Home to New York with its sprawling sky scrapers and thongs of people scurrying like ants. I missed the ever present sound of horns and voices.

"Why couldn't I stay in New York?" I asked. "I could've gotten a job at Starbucks, they're always hiring, and rent an apartment. I don't understand why your making us move out to the boonies. It's not fair!"

I know I sounded like brat but it was true. It wasn't fair.

Just then my mother let out a girlish squeal. "Look! Look! Look! There it is!" Mom pointed a coral painted finger at a mossy covered painted blue sign. The words WELCOME TO TRINITY FALLS were carved into the wood sign.

At the sound of the sonic screech, Hanabail head perked up, from where she had been sleeping, curling up in a sleek silver ball. The greyhound cocked her head to the side at the unfamiliar sights passing outside the windows.

"Isn't it such a cute little town?"

"Cute isn't exactly the word I would use for it, mom."

More like plain. The Main Street shops where made of red brick, some painted with faded colors that may have been bright at one point but now look sad and dejected.

Dad whistled. "Look who's finally talking. I was beginning to think she'd never talk again."

"Hardy har har." I snap, Hana whines and puts her head in my lap. "I'm not mad at you, Hana." I murmur to the dog, stroking her head.

"Kevin! Kevin look there it is! There's the house!" My mom exclaimed less than 10 minutes later. Dad maneuvered the car into the drive way and turned off the car.

Mom was practically bouncing out of her seat, her fingers shook as she unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door. Like one of the Jack in the boxes she pop out, a blinding smile plastered across her face. "Don't just stand there, let check it out!"

I rolled my eyes, some times it felt more like I was the adult and her the child rather then the open way around.

Hana looked at me big grey blue eyes expectantly and I signed opening the car door.

Reluctantly I followed her out of the car.