The Mystery

"Black diamonds?" Dianna Mattson stood erect after passing under the yellow crime scene tape

"Black diamonds?" Dianna Mattson stood erect after passing under the yellow crime scene tape. She raised an eyebrow at Chief Constable Robert Peeler. "Natural or treated?"

Peeler ducked under the tape to join Dickens Station's General Store owner and resident amateur sleuth in the Dickens Manor library. 

"Natural, quite rare, and valuable, although most of the value in black diamonds is due to their size," he answered. "And we're not talking salt and pepper diamonds, either. These were solid, opaque, black diamonds clipped from a set of Amelia Dickens's Victorian mourning jewelry collection."

"Clipped?" Dianna's question did nothing to interrupt her pacing scan of the room.

"Clipped," Peeler confirmed, opening a jeweler's tool case on a small table in the corner. "Most likely using these wire cutters."

"Suspects?" Dianna asked, pausing briefly to warm her hands by the coal-burning fireplace.

"A team of three researchers and their interns from the History Department at Southeastern Vermont University. Amelia granted them access to her collections for research," Peeler reported. 

He opened his palms above the jeweler's tools. "Our first, and primary, suspect goes by the name of Amanda Chase, professor of antique fashion who specializes in period Victorian jewelry." He stepped over to another table near the French doors leading to the garden and scattered with various bric-à-brac. "Our second suspect is Charles Chifforobe, professor of design, researching furniture and tools of the 1800s." Then Peeler pointed to a table piled high with leather-bound books. "And the third, an antiquarian researching British Victorian books and bookbinding techniques. His name is . . ." Peeler consulted his notebook. "Gladstone, Horace Q. Each of the professors has an intern working with them. The professors are living here, at the mansion. The interns are staying and working at the Inn. Better Internet."

"Motive?" Dianna stopped opposite Peeler, examining a gaming table set up between them in the middle of the library. "I mean, besides the obvious."

"None that we've uncovered. However, this was to be the final night of the last assignment for this team. The University experienced cutbacks and announced plans to retire all three professors after this assignment. They will each receive a hefty retirement package from the University. So, while the timing is curious, the retirement announcement would not seem to precipitate such an obvious heist, of which all three would naturally be suspected." 

"There is one fact that would point to Ms. Chase, however," Peeler continued. "Our investigation has revealed that Chifforobe and Gladstone are actively seeking placement with other colleges, while our fashion professor has not."

"No?" Dianna prodded.

"It was well known that she planned to retire in the Maldives. She already has a one-way ticket."

"Maldives?" Dianna's gaze found Peeler's. "And that makes you suspect her, because . . .?"

"No extradition."

"Oh." Dianna rolled her eyes, then resumed her questioning and observation of the games on the table. "Who discovered the diamonds missing, Amelia?" 

Peeler nodded. "She informed the professors that dinner was served. After they left the room, she entered to double-check the security of the garden doors. Knowing the finicky nature of the doors' antique hardware, she made it her habit to check them, though she couldn't say if the three professors were aware she did so. Upon refastening the doors, she noticed some debris on the carpet. When she picked it up, the tiny pieces looked to her like fragments of jewelry findings. Fearing Professor Chase had somehow damaged her antique jewelry, Amelia looked through the cases Chase had borrowed for her research. She found the damaged jewelry absent the missing gems buried deep in one of the cases. Then she called me. I instructed her not to say anything to her guests until we could secure the crime scene.

"Dianna returned her attention to the games on the table before her. "There are two active games, but three professors. The interns played?"

"No. The interns were not allowed in this room. They worked from the Inn and kept in touch electronically." Peeler answered. "Professor Chifforobe played against the other two. He said he does that to keep his mind sharp. Every evening, he would invite his two colleagues to select a game from Amelia's collection in the parlor. They would bring them in here and set them up." Peeler placed his hands on the backs of two chairs. "Then they would play from my side while Chifforobe walked back and forth on your side playing both games simultaneously. This evening, Professor Chase picked her usual challenge while Professor Gladstone chose chess for the first time."

"That would explain why there are no chairs on this side." Dianna focused her attention on the chessboard. "My guess is he won often?"

"Quite often, according to the other two," Peeler confirmed. "Why?"

Dianna pointed. "He has Professor Gladstone in checkmate. And here—" She shifted to a word-formation game using lettered tiles. "A much closer match. Almost all the tiles have been played and the scorecards show the game was close but Professor Chase was winning. What tiles does she have left?"

Peeler consulted the rack of lettered tiles in front of him. "O and U."

Dianna scanned the board until she was satisfied, then glanced at the rack of tiles in front of her. "And Chifforobe had O, D, and H." She scanned the board again.

Peeler nodded. "Chifforobe told us he lost because he had no more words to play.

"Dianna gazed up at him from beneath her eyebrows. "Really?"

Peeler scowled and looked over the board.

"You mentioned Amelia entered the room to secure the garden doors?"

"Yes," Peeler confirmed. "But I'm way ahead of you. They were unlocked, but there are no tracks outside the doors and no indications inside that anyone entered or left that way." 

"Just one more question," Dianna said. "Your men searched the suspects, their rooms, and this room?"

"Correct. All but this room. My men have interviewed the suspects and interns and searched their belongings. I've kept this room a pristine crime scene until now. We are to search in here next for the diamonds, but that will entail turning the room upside down. I had rather hoped you may spot a clue that may save us some trouble and Amelia the inconvenience. That's why I asked you to come and take a look. Have you? Any idea where to look for the diamonds, I mean.

"Dianna stiffed a grin. "Oh, Bobby. I not only know where to look for the diamonds, but I'm pretty sure I know who took them."