Chapter 5

☆☆
                            Home

I almost slipped down the stairs. When I reach downstairs I see her. My mother!!

"HI, MOM!" I reach over and give her a big hug, her slick bun grazing my ear. She smells outside though. "You smell like outside momma" I frowned dramatically.

"Well it's nice to see you too Maria," she says rolling her eyes. She takes off her black flats and walks to the kitchen with her loose button-down and straight pants. I just call them her work clothes because she has a very particular style.

"Is dad coming sooner or later?" I ask following behind her on my tippy toes.

"My day was very good, thanks for asking!"

"Mommaa, you sound like a robot" I groaned.

"Maybe I am one" She smiles her white-toothed smile and the mole above her lip smiled too.

"How was your first day? Did you eat yet"

"Yeah I did, I don't really like that place. They had partner work on the first day! Please mom let me out"

She flicks on the kettle and raises her head towards the ceiling.

"No way girl! You need to make new better friends than you did freshman year. We can't have what happened last year happen again.."

I grunt and roll my eyes.
"Well, I did meet some people…"

The kettle screams and I grab the cup and tea bag for momma. I guess she's right.

"Let's watch that new show together then you gotta finish unpacking your room"

"Okay let me make a snack real quick"
She walks into the hallway towards the den while I grab the instant popcorn from the cabinet.

Mom placed her hand on my shoulder "I know you'll do better this time sweety" She says quietly.

I just sit there and think about what the day held.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Dad came home about 4 hours after mom. Even though it was July the sky was dark when he came home. I stood by the front door watching him remove his shoes before he stepped up smiling at me with his mouth and his eyes. They always closed when he smiled just like mine.

"Hi Dad!" I'm really really tired. Usually I can keep up later than this. It's only ten.

Even though my parents aren't around that much they know enough about me that our relationship is satisfying. We haven't had any rocky times in a while.

"I see you're tired" my dad laughs his hearty laugh.

"Yeah I think the program tired me out. Did some running today."

His smile depletes just a little and he stands up straight "I've heard"

Oh.

"At Least you have made people stand by you so quickly" He laughed like a sailor.

I smile nervously "yeah. I guess so"

"Did you eat yet? Is your mother home"

"Yeah she's upstairs she just went to bed."

He nods "I'm going to eat now sweety. Goodnight, I see you're tired"

"Goodnight dad!"

I go upstairs to my bathroom and take a quick wash off before I change into my night clothes.

Looking through my window and wishing I was a star.