Numero Ocho

I stare at myself in the mirror, it's been awhile since I've worn a dress. Will I look weird? What if people make fun of me?  I think to myself. I pinch my cheeks just in case I'm in a dream why would Kel invite me out of all people? Why am I getting close to Kel anyway?  I ask myself. Just then I hear knocking coming from downstairs, that must be Kel .

I hurry downstairs and open the door, I'm surprised to see a very dressed up Kel. His hair is tied up and he's wearing a black suit. "Wow, you look nice Kel....I love the way your hair is tied up" I say smiling warmly, he just stares at me for a few seconds.

"Huh? oh! um..thanks!" he says finally, he didn't say anything about my dress or ... me.. I think to myself. I shake my head and mentally slap myself for thinking such a thing "so...shall we go now?" Kel asked me. I nod my head and we hurry on our way.

When we arrive the teachers immediately asks us for our tickets and we give it to them. Another teacher leads us to where the party is, unsurprisingly it's outside behind the school. "Have fun kids!" the teacher says before leaving us, I look around -- the decorations are very well prepared.

"Oh hey! wanna get pizza?" Kel asks me pointing at the pizza boxes on a party table, I smile and reply yes. When we get them, we sit down at a random table and I watch Kel chat with a few of his friends. While he wasn't looking I took our paper plates to the trash. When I came back I overheard some girls talking about me.

"Ugh seriously what does she think she's doing coming here?" One says, I pause "right? With Kel too...I bet she's paying him to be her friend" another says giggling afterward. "Oh and that dress of hers - who does she think she is?" "Honestly...is she just trying not to be invisible?".

I lower my head, I knew it...I shouldn't have came, and this dress really is ridiculous-  my thoughts stop as someone takes my hand. I look up to see who it is, its non other than Kel -- he looks...mad? he takes a step closer to the girls, I know what he's about to do so just as he opens his mouth I pull him away.

"no!" I shout whispering, he looks at me confused. "don...don't say anything, they're not worth it.." I say quietly, he frowns "but...they were making fun of you -- of your dress which by the way, is great!". I raise my eyebrows, he thinks my dress is great? I giggle, "thank you, but I'm really okay" his eyes then soften and he begins to smile.

"Sorry I didn't say anything about it earlier, I was just too shocked...but I mean it, you look amazing Y/n". My heart begins to ache again, how can he say something like that without hesitation? his hand grips mine a bit tighter, a song begins to play. He looks around and then turns to me, grinning.

"Want to dance?".