victim of a hatecrime.

plot :
mickeys world flips upside down when he finds out ian was put in the hospital and for a not so good reason.
tw : its in the title but talks of being hatecrimed, violence, blood.
——————————

it was an extremely hot night in chicago.

they had just experienced their first day of summer, it was a very hot and humid one. the temperatures had reached 104° and by the time the sun set it had only dropped to 80°.

despite this however, kids would run the street day and night, making hospitals fill up because they'd end up with heat exhaustion or heat strokes. summer was the busiest season for all hospitals and EMT's, minus the drunks they'd pick up every night no matter the weather.

one of these EMT's were ian gallagher. living on the southside with his thug boyfriend, mickey milkovich.

ian always worked the day shift so he had seen the worst of the worst. from picking up the dead bodies of homeless alcoholics, giving kids as young as two cpr, treating kids who had gotten so badly sunburnt that their skin started to bubble up into blisters. you name it . . he probably seen it.

he always got off at around 7 pm, just when nightshift started. after every shift, his colleagues would go out for drinks, they'd invite him but he always said no because he hated being away from mickey for so long. this particular evening however, he decided to say yes.

mickey was out with lip and brad and he wouldn't be home until after ian so the red head decided to stay out.

they stopped by the alibi, where they always went, ian walked in behind the rest of the crew and greeted kev, v, and svetlana.

"hey ian. its good to see you here." veronica smiled, walking out from behind the bar to give him a hug.
"figured i'd join them." he pointed to his coworkers, "micks out with lip and brad."

kevin handed him a glass of coke, "yeah man, kick back for once, feel like you're always at work." he commented and made ian chuckle, shrugging, "gotta pay the bills somehow."

veronica nodded with a smile while kev went over to assist the booth full of crew members, "you and mickey doing good?" veronica sat down on a stool and ian nodded, sitting next to her, "yeah . . we're slowly figuring stuff out."

she smiled, "thats good. terry and his goons finally leave you guys alone?"

"he went to prison again so we won't have to worry about him." ian stated, feeling relief as he spoke those words outloud, it felt good to reassure himself.

veronica hummed and stood up again, "i gotta get back behind the bar but stay as long as you like. kev and i can take you home after just incase."

the ginger shook his head, "i should be fine. thanks v." he smiled and went over to the booth to join the rest of them.

ian and the crew stayed there for a couple hours, conversating and joking around with eachother, complaining about their worst calls that day. genuinely just enjoying themselves and having a good time before it was time to go home and repeat the day all over again.

**

the time came when they all finally decided it was time to head out, dispersing one by one. it was close to 2am and the alibi was only open for one more hour so v gave ian the choice to stay and be driven home, but he refused.